Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Engagement Marketing Director
Compassion & Choices is seeking an Engagement Marketing Director to help advance our advocacy, medical outreach and education efforts across the country.
This position is primarily responsible for leading the development and implementation of an integrated marketing strategy including digital and traditional communication efforts, to promote and advance C&C’s brand and support the work of our engagement team. This includes our work to elevate our profile and educate clinicians (doctors, nurses, pharmacists, social workers and death doulas) as well as our work reaching special populations (i.e. African Americans, Latinos. Asian American Pacific Islander Native Hawaiians, Faith Leaders and people with disabilities). These strategies include:
- Providing direct support to achieve the goals of the engagement program team
- Expanding our profile, reach and relevance amount target communities
- Aiding in the development of key collaborations and partnerships
- Expanding our supporter base
- Expanding our brand, increase our profile and the profile of the CEO and key staff
- Generating revenue
This is a full-time, remotely-located, salaried position reporting to the National Director, Marketing & Communications. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.
We offer excellent benefits including employer-shared medical and dental insurance premiums, employer-paid short- and long-term disability, life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, flexible spending account for medical and child care, commuter pre-tax benefit, eligibility to participate in 401K with generous 5% employer match and 100% vested at time of eligibility, 12 paid holidays, 17 PTO days first year, and personal days.
This position is primarily responsible for:
- Serve as primary communications lead for C&C’s work with the engagement team which includes leading the development of an integrated communications and marketing plan working in collaboration with the program and digital teams. Plan will include a range of tactics including earned media, email marketing, social media, partnership support, event support and a limited amount of paid media as resources are available.
- Directly lead message, content and materials development (i.e. videos, brochures, advertisement, etc.) and collaborate with the digital team on digital materials.
- Directly supervises 2 to 3 people and oversees projects that could involve 10+ team members.
- Set and apply earned media strategy for designated programs including directly pitching the media (both mainstream and non-traditional) yourself.
- Craft content for traditional and digital platforms. Works with staff to identify communications opportunities and visibility events.
- Work in partnership with the engagement team to bring C&C’s products, tools and materials to our partners communication channels.
- Raise the visibility of C&C online, through marketing efforts that position the organization as the go-to end-of-life choices advocacy organization.
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures for ensuring the high quality development of messaging and collateral.
- Serve as a content strategist to ensure that marketing content being developed is appropriate for the end audience, supporting and clarifying business content goals as needed.
- Evaluate print initiatives for optimal reach, efficiency, and success in the Program areas.
- Review materials to ensure they are in compliance with the organization’s message and editorial and style guidelines and that they are culturally competent.
- Collaborate with volunteer-based governance groups on marketing and communications efforts, to include, but not limited to, the African-American Leadership Council, Latino Leadership Council, Faith Leaders for Choices, LGBTQ+ Leadership Council and Healthcare Advisory Council.
- Senior-level writing and editing of marketing and communications content, to ensure they are aligned with organizational messaging and culturally competent.
- Ensure communications products are always respectful, culturally competent, and inclusive.
- Trains and coaches staff and volunteers in using approved language and to upgrade their media communications skills.
- Support of all C&C efforts as requested; including, but not limited to, activities such as identifying prospects, briefing donors, alerting staff of fundraising opportunities, reaching out to donors, participating in phone-athons, etc.
- Timely and accurate completion of related reports (such as company credit card statements, performance reviews, time cards, etc.).
- Demonstrates commitment to and active support of C&C’s Diversity & Inclusion program.
- Other duties as required.
Required Qualifications (You will be a good fit if you have the following): Of note, the requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience & Skills:
- 8 to 10 years of direct experience and demonstrated success in managing a national marketing, communications/public relations program in a national advocacy, public health or analogous organization with specific expertise in developing culturally competent communications. Nonprofit experience is highly desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred in related fields such as marketing, journalism, communications (or equivalency of education/experience).
- Expertise in reaching and communicating to diverse audiences including but not limited to Latinos and African Americans as well as the clinical community is critical. Spanish fluency is highly desirable.
- Must have proven expertise in developing media strategies and creating and shaping media stories, piggybacking onto the news of the day or national holidays, and building integrated campaigns leveraging online and offline communications
- Must have proven experience placing blogs from thought leaders into online platforms to expand organization’s reach and thought leaders into new mediums and to increase organization’s search engine optimization
- Must have experience overseeing digital and social media including developing campaigns, writing email messages, growing social media channels, paid online media, web design
- Experience with communications research and planning, such as content audits, focus groups, environmental scans, communications strategy and plan development.
- Experience marketing an organization with proven marketing principles.
- Experience ensuring materials are culturally competent and promoting to underrepresented communities.
- Experience working in a matrixed environment, managing projects or programs that require leadership without direct line reports.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Expert in managing time and completing the allocated work within the given timeframe.
- Ability to make quick decisions.
- Ability to work even in pressured situations.
Values: Must be energized by the idea of working at an organization with the following values:
- Compassionate in our conviction that dying patients should be free of unwanted treatment, suffering or outside interference.
- Respectful of the autonomy of individuals to decide what end-of-life options are best for them and their family.
- Courageous in our willingness to confront the toughest end-of-life health challenges, disrupt the broken status quo and protect an individual’s right to self-determination.
- Credible in all our education, advocacy and partnerships — our efforts are grounded in objective research and demonstrable facts.
- Resilient in our capacity to respond to opportunities and threats in the movement so that we can achieve our vision as quickly as possible.
Current resume and cover letter should be submitted as one PDF document. In your cover letter, please (1) indicate how your personal philosophy aligns with our mission, (2) provide a brief summary of your directly related experience, and (3) provide your salary expectation (with a specific amount/range vs ‘negotiable’).
Questions about the position may be directed to Jobs@compassionandchoices.org.
About Compassion & Choices
Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying and empowers everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey. Organizational priorities for this position include: 1) integrating medical aid in dying into standard medical care; 2) legitimizing advance care planning for dementia and 3) improving the delivery of culturally competent care to historically underserved populations.
Compassion & Choices is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job posted: 2023-09-04