Engagement and Public Affairs Manager (Africa)
C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in London, with offices in New York, Johannesburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
At C40, we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment, where diversity is valued and there is equality of opportunity. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community.
C40 Vice Chairs are mayors elected to C40’s global Steering Committee who play a key leadership role for the organization around the world. Vice Chairs are leading by example in their regions and raising ambition for other cities to take bold and ambitious climate action. They also have an increasingly important mission to help C40 to create a broad coalition of cities large and small, businesses, youth activists, labour unions, scientists and civil society, united behind the principles of a Global Green New Deal.
To help manage this critical role, C40 is recruiting dedicated positions in key regions to provide support to Vice Chairs and their staff – in identifying opportunities for regional leadership, C40 representation, visibility and communications, and engaging new partners.
This role will be in the C40 Regions Team but will be required to work with a number of C40 teams from across the globe. The role will have a strong emphasis on stakeholder engagement, communications and political affairs
- Support Vice Chair cities in informing C40 mayors in Africa about decisions made by the Steering Committee and ensure that challenges and opportunities raised by mayors are reflected in the discussions of the Steering Committee.
- Working with the Deputy Regional Director, carry out regular political analysis of challenges and solutions in the region and report on political and policy developments; track and inform on risks, including situations that may require crisis communications related to the Vice Chair and/or the region; and provide input and recommendations on issues to colleagues and city officials.
- Help identify communications and campaigns opportunities in the region to promote Vice Chair leadership; identify proactive and reactive communications opportunities (including media, digital and events) to further the reach and influence of the Vice Chairs; and help in raising their profile as climate leaders locally, nationally and globally, and showcase the positive impact of their work.
- Draft comprehensive briefing materials, talking points, speeches, memorandums, presentations, scheduling requests, correspondence and other written materials, and ensure the Vice Chairs and members of their staff are well prepared ahead of media interviews.
- Help the Communications team identify, hire and manage freelance photographers and videographers and local/regional PR agencies.
- Work with the Regions Team in close collaboration with the C40 Chair’s Office, Communications Team, International Diplomacy Team, Campaigns Team and Executive Director’s Office to support Vice Chairs in Africa to coordinate vice chair engagement in relevant C40 events and programmes including supporting Vice Chairs in convening Mayoral Webinars and the Regional Forum.
- Support the International Diplomacy Team and the City Diplomacy Network in delivering the C40 diplomatic agenda.
- Support the Vice Chairs’ leadership roles and relationships with other mayors, non-C40 cities, critical climate actors and strategic partners and third parties – including business, academia, civil society – to further advocate C40’s priorities.
- Help connect, at a regional level, key C40 initiatives including the Global Green New Deal Coalition Campaign, Vice Chair Strategy, Rapid Response Strategy and Campaigns Strategy as they relate to Vice Chairs.
- Solid political awareness of the Africa region
- Proven experience working in communications, campaigns and/ or public/political affairs
- Ability to express complex, abstract ideas to a variety of audiences in a clear and concise way
- Excellent stakeholder engagement skills
- Experience working directly for an elected official or senior leader of a global organization to deliver communications, campaigns and/or political strategies
- Experience briefing elected officials or senior spokespersons for events, media interviews, speeches, and other public engagements
- Solid understanding of political and legislative processes and campaigns in the region
- Strong problem-solving, creative, interpersonal skills coupled with an outcome, delivery-oriented approach
- Strong analytical capabilities
- International experience, and working across different cultures, languages and time zones
- The successful candidate is expected to have a postgraduate/advanced degree in a subject related to political science, governance, international relations, and communications and at least 5 years of relevant working experience
- The working language will be English; working knowledge of French will be an asset.
Applicants must already have the right to work in the country where they apply. Moderate travel will be required as part of the role.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-22