EVP Government Affairs
COMPANY OVERVIEW –
Brightline owns and operates an express passenger rail system connecting major population centers in Florida, with plans to expand operations further in Florida, Las Vegas and elsewhere in North America. We are the first new major private passenger intercity railroad in the United States in over a century, and we believe our business represents a scalable model for twenty-first century passenger travel in North America.
Brightline currently operates between Miami and West Palm Beach, one of the most heavily traveled and congested regions in the U.S. We are about hallway finished with construction of our Florida passenger rail system’s expansion to Orlando, Florida, and we intend to further expand our rail service to Tampa, Florida with an intermediary stop at Walt Disney World Resort. We can operate up to 32 trains daily that are capable of speeds of up to 125 miles per hour, and we own stations located in the heart of downtown cities and major transit hubs in Florida. Our passenger rail system offers a travel option that is faster, safer, more eco-friendly, more reliable, less expensive, more productive and more enjoyable than travel by car or air.
Brightline provides a unique and enriching opportunity to be a part of a new transportation alternative that is keenly focused on hospitality and guest service. The Public Affairs Department plays a key role in sharing and receiving information with government entities, community leaders, media and our internal team.
As an essential member of the government affairs and community outreach team you will be responsible for all outreach and government affairs related to Brightline’s high speed rail project in Central Florida (Tampa & Orlando).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- The primary focus of this job will be in Central Florida (between Orlando and Tampa)
- Build and establish relationships with key stakeholders
- Build and establish relationships with key transportation and infrastructure agencies (e.g. Central Florida Expressway, Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, Orlando Utilities Commission, and Central Florida Commuter Rial Commission)
- Build and develop key relationships with elected officials and government relations personnel
- Establish a coalition of support for Brightline’s high-speed rail project and ancillary projects
- Represent the company before the local congressional delegation, local Florida legislative delegation, & city and county boards related to Brightline and other affiliated projects
- Stay up to date on transportation and infrastructure projects
- Engage, educate and provide regular update to regulatory agencies on matters of oversight and permitting
- Represent Brightline while serving on community and industry boards and committees
- Participate in civic and community organizations whose mission aligns with Brightline
- Manage political affairs on behalf of Brightline, including relevant electoral support
- Develop budgets for state and local candidates for political office and managing distribution of contributions
- Organize, attend and present at business, community, and neighborhood group meetings regarding Brightline and transportation initiatives
Primary Sectors of Focus:
- United State Congress – Central Florida delegation
- Florida Legislature – Central Florida delegation
- Local Municipal Government Elected Officials
- Local Municipal Government Agencies
- Local and Regional Chambers of Commerce and Civic Organizations
YOUR QUALIFICATIONS – IF YOU THINK THE FOLLOWING DESCRIBES YOU, THEN THIS POSITION MIGHT BE FOR YOU!
- Passion and enthusiasm for changing the way people travel
- Preferably 10+ years of experience in public affairs management role
- Has existing relationships in government and with key members of the community
- Feels comfortable working in a matrix management organizational structure
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations; position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy
- Interacts professional and effectively with fellow teammates, guests and community leaders and media contacts
- Proficiency with a variety of computers software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Possess excellent organizational, business-level oral and written communications skills and excels at establishing priorities and meeting deadlines
- Ability to handle multiple tasks quickly and efficiently while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to qualify under the Company’s Vehicle Operation Policy by having a driver’s license and safe driving history and a reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage that you can use for work purposes
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-23