Executive Communications Manager – Office of the President
You may apply for this position by visiting https://www.cmu.edu/jobs/ and searching for position 2016254.
Carnegie Mellon University is a private, global research university that challenges the curious and passionate to deliver work that matters. Our world-class institution has distinctive areas of excellence and a culture marked by ambition and a deep, practical engagement with challenges facing society. We continue to produce hardworking alumni and draw faculty and staff eager to be a part of the university’s creative, dedicated and close-knit community. We place emphasis on practical problem solving, interdisciplinary learning, an entrepreneurial spirit and teamwork.
We are seeking a skilled writer, creative thinker, and hard-working individual to work on executive communications, primarily to support the Office of the President. Serving as an Executive Communications Manager will require special sensitivity for campus culture and the needs of our faculty, students, staff, and trustees as well as external audiences like alumni, donors, parents and other key constituents, particularly as it aligns with senior leadership’s key initiatives and strategic priorities. You will be an expert in bringing together the vision and the guiding principles of leadership for a variety of audiences. Reporting to Director of Communications for the Office of the President, you will also work in close collaboration with the Marketing and Communications division and the Provost’s Office.
Core responsibilities include:
- Create and support the preparation of speeches and talking points, reports, presentations, op-eds, statements, daily correspondence and other written materials in connection with speaking engagements or other activities or initiatives within the Office of the President, and for other executives as assigned.
- Work as part of the Executive Communications team to contribute to the development and execution of communications that support the goals of leadership, with research, writing, editing, and consultation across a wide range of offices and individuals.
- Work with the social media team to appropriately use this tactic for Presidential communications;
- Support executive leadership with communications efforts related to wider university priority areas for students, faculty, staff and the Board of Trustees.
- Translate complex concepts into clear, compelling language for audiences ranging from students, staff and faculty to elected officials, government agencies, policymakers, and corporate organizations.
- Work discretely on sensitive or delicate assignments, exercise sound editorial judgment and maintain the trust and confidence of the president, provost, senior executives and their staff.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the President’s Office. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Ability to work effectively and independently, and can manage multiple projects simultaneously in a rapidly changing environment;
- Attention to detail and the ability to exercise good judgement;
- Capability to learn the President’s “voice” and willingness to conform to leadership’s expectations for written style and content, and to accept and apply constructive criticism gracefully;
- Willingness to undertake both mundane and high-profile tasks with enthusiasm and energy;
- Strong research skills with a fluency in topical news and culture, particularly in higher education issues and trends;
- Aptitude to understand the operations of the executive offices and dedication to developing relationships at all levels of the organization and across functions to include faculty, staff, key administration, and outside partners.
To be considered, applicants must submit a resume, letter of interest, and writing samples.
Bachelor’s degree required; study in English, journalism, communications or other relevant field preferred.
A minimum of five to eight years of professional experience in communications, public relations, speech writing, and/or technical writing.
Supporting senior corporate or government officials, or higher education executive communications experience
Experience working in a higher education setting
- Background check
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Statement of Assurance: https://www.cmu.edu/policies/administrative-and-governance/statement-of-assurance.html
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
You may apply for this position by visiting https://www.cmu.edu/jobs/ and searching for position 2016254
Job posted: 2021-05-12