Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Executive Director, Communications and Special Projects
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Department of University Communications has an exciting opportunity for an Executive Director of Communications and Special Projects to work in Coral Gables, FL.
The Executive Director of Communications and Special Projects ensures a unified comprehensive communications agenda across all departments and sets communications goals and objectives. Further, the Executive Director of Communications and Special Projects defines and focuses the message of the University in external and external communications to shape the institution’s identity and brand through special projects and events.
Department Specific Functions
1. Manages The U Creates arts marketing platform, including coordinating a campus-wide group of arts and culture presenters and external partners, and produces news stories, videos, websites, print and digital advertising, promotional materials, and special events.
2. Plays an integral role in the inner workings of UM, serving as an ambassador to campus units to encourage participation in major campus initiatives, and leading professional-level communicators in creating and executing dynamic communication approaches.
3. Manages marketing communications activities and materials such as brochures, direct mail, magazines, newsletters, e-mails, website, and other customer-facing communications tools.
4. Responsible for coordinating and conducting research for key communications projects.
5. Helps conceptualize, create, and implement advertising and communications campaigns, including print and digital.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Responds to community matters that impact the University’s image and provides strategic counsel to upper management.
2. Produces and manages special projects and events that promote University priorities and activities.
3. Analyzes communications trends and patterns to ensure institution is proactive in positioning for changes in academic environments.
4. Ensures high-quality of content and consistency in message, branding, and look.
5. Manages staff responsible for producing communication materials and prepares performance reports.
6. Provides editorial support to academic and administrative units and external constituencies to ensure consistent standards in remarks, letters, press releases, and official statements.
7. Fosters positive media relations to build the University’s visibility and public awareness.
8. Ensures internal control oversight and compliance with laws and regulations, safeguarding of assets, compliance with University policies and procedures, reliability of internal and external reporting, and efficiency and effectiveness of operations. Creates an effective control environment, conducts risk assessment, implements and monitors controls.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience. Any relevant education, certifications and/or work experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Knowledge of business and management principles.
- Ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate department operations.
- Ability to establish department goals, and objectives that support the strategic plan.
- Ability to effectively plan, delegate and/or supervise the work of others.
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop, and train others.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-25