Executive Director, Community Outreach Group
Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Planned Parenthood Action Fund
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall leadership, management, and planning of the Community Outreach Group (COG), a for-profit consulting firm that specializes in field canvassing. COG supports organizations across the progressive movements to help field campaigns that reach scale while having quality conversations needed to change people’s lives. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director works closely with Planned Parenthood Action Fund leadership to develop field canvassing programs with Planned Parenthood local political and advocacy organizations. The Executive Director also seeks partnerships with other progressive campaigns and organizations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide Strategic and Operational Leadership The Executive Director will lead the development and implementation of strategic plans for COG and ensure that COG is functioning at a high level operationally and administratively.
- Work with the staff and board to develop and implement bold vision for the organization, including refining and implementing strategic plan for the organization to achieve sufficient revenue through a broad range of projects and contracts.
- Develop and implement effective organizational structures, financial administration policies and procedures, including complete oversight of annual budget.
- Manage procedures to track staff time and expenditures against a variety of types of reportable activity (express advocacy, electioneering, grassroots lobbying, direct lobbying, social welfare ratio, membership activity, etc.).
- The Executive Director will be responsible for hiring and management of a core national leadership team who will conduct large scale door to door outreach to families about elections, advocacy on progressive issues and educate on public health on behalf of Planned Parenthood and other clients. They will ensure that the management structures and internal communication mechanisms are strong, effective and timely.
- Create Clear, Transparent and Data Driven Programs The Executive Director will have flexibility but also realistic expectation management while developing projects. From contracting to implementation, project plans will be developed in partnership with client organizations that include: establishing clear achievable goals, methods of accountability, reporting, ongoing communication between parties, systems for troubleshooting and rapid response, accurate budgeting, as well as familiarity and understanding of Civis Platform, Catalist, EA/VAN, and how to work in complex data, legal, and financial structures.
- The Executive Director will maximize the potential of all staff members and set high quality performance standards by delegating work effectively to achieve organizational goals, empowering staff to deliver assigned responsibilities and manage their functions, providing feedback and support to ensure success and pathways for growth, and by demonstrating Planned Parenthood’s In This Together service ethos by ensuring that the people who make our mission possible are supported, cared for and engaged.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- At least 10 years of progressive campaign and/or organizing work experience.
- A track record of creating and maintaining strong work relationships with a diverse set of colleagues is required.
- Experience as a grassroots organizer; adept at consulting, advising, and training others to increase grassroots activities and strategies (volunteer or paid campaign experience is highly useful and valuable).
- Proven ability and fluency in long term power-building with a movement lens
- Proficient trainer and communicator and possess assessment and analytical skills that allow effective coaching and consulting.
- Stay ahead of all organizing trends and be able to lend not only knowledge, but also expertise about the latest trends. This is particularly true of the use of technology to manage large lists of identified supporters and the internet to mobilize those supporters.
- Ability to identify priorities, work independently and develop tactics for addressing issues or requests and extensive knowledge of public policies at the state and federal level.
- Fluency in racial equity frameworks and proven track record of working with diverse communities.
- Must be willing and able to work extended hours as needed.
- Experience in a campaign/advocacy environment working with diverse communities preferred.
- Extensive travel is required.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Federation of America is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the nonpartisan advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
Job posted: 2020-02-12