Executive Director, EX-US Vaccine Public Policy
Our Human Health Division maintains a “patient first, profits later” ideology. The organization is comprised of sales, marketing, market access, digital analytics and commercial professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing our medicines to our customers worldwide.
Our Policy & Communications team collaborate with governments and policy organizations at local and national levels. We address legislative and regulatory issues that promote and protect the discovery of innovative medicine, vaccines and animal health products while improving and protecting patient access to care. We take great care to monitor and manage the reputation of our company communicating the work we do to improve lives.
The impact of public policy on our Company’s vaccines business is substantial. Public policy governs public sector vaccine purchases and structures private sector vaccines markets. The success of the business depends on the ability to shape the vaccines public policy environment, creating competitive advantages for our Company and opening market opportunities for our products. Constrained government budgets coupled with fierce competitors in the policy space require that public policy efforts be highly sophisticated and strategic, innovative and tactical. They must be thoroughly integrated with business objectives and corporate communications to achieve optimal success. The pharmaceutical industry is highly regulated, placing particular emphasis on the value of expert public policy engagement with governments, international organizations, patient and provider groups, and other stakeholders and influencers.
The Executive Director, International Vaccine Public Policy leads internationally-focused public policy and advocacy for our Company’s Vaccines Division (MVD) as a member of the senior leadership team responsible for domestic and international vaccine policy.
- Develops overarching international public policy strategy and guides global, regional, and country tactical engagements for vaccines.
- Addresses vaccine public policy positions and advocates in support of our Company’s strategic business priorities.
- Serves as the public policy representative on the Global Vaccines Cross-Functional Team, working closely with counterparts in International Commercial Operations, Medical Affairs, Market Access, and Communications.
- In conjunction with others, advances our Company’s relationships with the principal external government and non-governmental stakeholders that influence international vaccine policy.
- Identifies key external engagement opportunities for senior MVD management with external stakeholders on vaccines policy issues and provides expert support for such engagements.
- Manages the International vaccines policy team.
- In a matrixed structure, provides strategic direction and tactical guidance to eight regional vaccine policy leads.
- Serves as an expert resource on public policy, public sector engagement, vaccines confidence, health systems and immunization programs, sustainable financing, and stakeholder influence.
Primary activities include and are not limited to the following:
- Conceive, conduct, manage, and evaluate strategic and tactical market-shaping plans to optimize vaccine uptake worldwide.
- Identify annual vaccine, prevention and wellness priorities of the governmental and public health sectors. Advise colleagues on areas of alignment and synergies.
- Oversee essential information gathering to inform strategic goals and operational tactics – e.g., environmental scans of issues, politics and policies, analyses of domestic market government pricing and reimbursement issues.
- Work to further our Company’s position as an industry thought leader and vaccine partner of choice for public decision makers, including Ministries of Health and Finance, as well as nongovernmental organizations.
- Lead vaccine public policy training and capacity building for senior policy and business executives.
- Work cross-functionally with colleagues in commercial, medical affairs, market access, and communications to achieve business goals.
- Oversee development of Company position papers, including ones related to government pricing and reimbursement topics.
- Represent our Company in meetings with government officials and nongovernmental leaders on vaccine public policy matters.
- Participate in relevant PhRMA, Chamber of Commerce, or other committees. Identify and include appropriate colleagues as content experts.
- Engage in Company internal working groups formed to address government pricing and reimbursement strategies.
- Lead operation and planning support, including development and monitoring of annual objectives and other special projects as assigned.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Public Health, Public Administration, Economics, Political Science, or Political Economy or related field.
- Preferred: Master’s or Professional degree in Public Policy (MPP), Public Health (MPH or MSPH), Public Administration (MPA), or Economics, Political Science, or Political Economy (MA, MS)
- Minimum of (10) years demonstrated success working in Public Policy arena and/or government, preferably in Public Health.
- Academic background or career exposure to public health and health care
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-22