Working at Purdue
We are people dedicated to serving the needs of our customers and of society. As pioneers in modern pain treatment, we shape the markets we serve through our portfolio of innovative medicines. Today we are catalyzing a new future for the company in the healthcare marketplace.
We do this through our people, for Purdue employees are our chief strength. Ambitious to succeed and achieve, we are collaborative business partners, innovative problem solvers, and accountable colleagues. Above all, we are courageous ambassadors for our mission, for we consider ours a noble cause.
The Executive Director, Government Affairs will be responsible for representing, supporting, and promoting Purdue Pharma’s strategic advocacy objectives before the US Congress, Federal agencies, and policy makers, and with other stakeholders, including trade associations and industry allies. Reporting to the Vice President, Government Affairs, the Executive Director will leverage a sophisticated understanding of the policy process to broaden Purdue Pharma’s Washington presence and to build support for the company’s mission and interests.
- Builds support for Purdue Pharma’s advocacy agenda with Federal policymakers and regulators.
- Drives a proactive and entrepreneurial culture in Purdue Pharma’s Government Affairs team.
- Successfully integrates the efforts of the Government Affairs with those of the commercial leadership and corporate communications teams to transform Purdue Pharma for the future.
- In partnership with the Vice President, develops and successfully executes a government affairs plan that strategically utilizes all available tools to advance Purdue Pharma’s advocacy agenda in alignment with the company’s business interests and issues related to drug safety, pricing, and public health.
- Leverages his/her understanding of the current political environment to effectively amplify and enhance Purdue Pharma’s reputation with key decision makers and stakeholders.
- Exhibits a proactive mindset by anticipating and positioning Purdue Pharma to respond to changing legislative/regulatory challenges and capitalizing on potential opportunities.
- Proactively and strategically builds, maintains, and leverages relationships with key policymakers and regulators to communicate Purdue Pharma’s positive impact and innovations and build support for the company’s mission to find, develop, and introduce innovative medicines that meet the evolving needs of healthcare professionals, patients, and caregivers.
- Works with colleagues and team members to establish fully integrated and strategic government affairs priorities in coordination with public affairs and communications objectives.
- Coordinates and collaborates with members of the government affairs team to build on strengths and bridge gaps to develop a broader Washington presence and reach.
- Continuously seeks and identifies opportunities to improve processes and enhance outcomes
- Personifies an entrepreneurial, team spirit; implements today’s best practices in advocacy and coalition building strategies.
- Respectfully speaks truth to power.
Education and Experience
- 10-15 years of experience in relevant government affairs and/or advocacy roles
- Experience on Capitol Hill is preferred
- Deep understanding of the legislative and regulatory process
- Leveraging knowledge and relationships to anticipate potential opportunities and challenges
- A track-record advancing a legislative, regulatory, and policy agenda on behalf of the pharmaceutical industry
- Deep subject matter expertise in the range of issues related to the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience working in a bipartisan manner with policymakers, regulators, and staff on both sides of the aisle
- Established relationships and credibility with congressional leadership and relevant committees
- Proven experience coordinating internally and externally with key stakeholders to promote an organization’s position in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- A proven ability to present complex issues in an easily digestible manner
- Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree preferred
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Executive Director, Government Affairs will be a hands on, entrepreneurial professional with a demonstrated ability to “see around corners” and anticipate both opportunities and challenges. S/he will have a track-record of working in a bipartisan manner at all levels, including with policymakers and staff on Capitol Hill, to advance an advocacy agenda for Purdue Pharma. Comfortable working independently, s/he will be a strong team player and organizational contributor.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 13, 2017