Executive Director, Global Oncology Communications
Our Support Functions deliver services and makes recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the experience of working at our organization. Our functions include Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
The Global Communications function is a group of trusted advisors focused on driving forward a company reputation-first model and strategy that engages our audiences in the ways they choose. Through an outside-in approach, we are striving to assertively build trust, improve our influence and demonstrate the health and societal value that our company creates for the world as an inventor and as a catalyst for addressing inequities. We are looking for people to join the Global Communications team who are passionate about raising our reputation and having a positive impact on our business and mission.
The Executive Director for Oncology Communications oversees and directly manages the development and implementation of communications strategies and programs in support of our Company’s human health businesses in Oncology.
In this role the Executive Director develops global strategies, programs and materials for use by regions and markets, and develops and executes U.S. communications strategies and programs for the respective therapeutic area, including communications for investigational and in-line pharmaceuticals and vaccines. The Executive Director serves on the cross-functional leadership team for the respective business team and as the lead Global Communications liaison to advise the leadership team on key communications and business issues. The Executive Director may serve as liaison to external stakeholders, including third-party groups and the news media.
An emerging leader in Global Communications with a positive can-do attitude and an high level of comfort interacting with and building trust with key stakeholders, internally and externally. Ability to leverage these skills to advocate on behalf of our Company translating company and brand strategies into compelling communications across channels and positioning the company as a trusted partner and leader in global health. An experienced people manager with a strong history of line management and developing and implementing product and therapy area communications strategies in multiple product areas. Oversees the selection of, and ongoing interactions with Public Relations agencies and related product budgets to implement comprehensive global communications plans, product supply issues and crisis management plans.
- Creates, develops and implements annual communications plan and effective, innovative product communications to support the business and communications goals of the company, Human Health business and/or brands.
- Develops and executes of communications strategies and programs on major developments for our pharmaceuticals, and vaccines, including regulatory approvals, policy recommendations and presentations, publications of scientific data, information on adverse events, litigation, and other sensitive and volatile issues affecting the company’s medicines and vaccines, and business practices, to ensure that our Company’s business and communications goals are achieved.
- Proactively seeks and identifies external and internal speaking and thought leadership opportunities for human health business leaders.
- Manages the preparation, clearance, and dissemination of news releases and compelling written and electronic communications materials consistent with U.S. and international regulations and internal policies.
- Works closely with other Global Communications staff, business leaders, Investor Relations to shape communications about the therapeutic area and to position our Company globally as a leader in the industry.
- In partnership with Media Relations, directs media relations activities to generate positive and/or balanced coverage in global print and electronic news media to support business goals and our Company’s reputation.
- Represents our Company at major medical meetings and congresses; conceives, develops and implements on-site media activities.
- Anticipates and responds to complex, changing industry environment globally with communications that effectively influence key external and internal perceptions, behavior and decisions.
- Exercises considerable judgment in dealing with third-party groups, customers, patient groups and media outlets as well as senior executives. Create highly complex, regulated news releases and other communications materials consistent with Food & Drug Administration and international regulations and guidance.
- Serves as the Global Communications liaison on brand communications to external stakeholders, including news media and third-party groups, and provides strategic communications counsel and support to internal stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Build, lead and manage a team of therapy area and product speakers responsible for multiple product areas, and work collaboratively across Global Communications to maximize activities across the function.
- Bachelor’s degree, i.e., Communications, Public Relations or Marketing preferred.
- Healthcare experience is strongly preferred.
- Accomplished product communications professional with a minimum of ten years’ experience in therapeutic and product communications or consumer communications/marketing.
- Compliance knowledge, particularly in content development and executing service agreements with 3rd parties.
- Expertise in developing and implementing strategic plans.
- Ability to navigate a large organization.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills across a variety of mediums/channels (e.g., print, digital, video, presentation).
- Proficiency with web-based, digital communications and internal/external social media tools preferred.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills with strong ability to develop new, innovative ways to drive communications in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience within a highly regulated industry a plus; deep business knowledge, solid understanding of corporate financial reporting of publicly traded companies, and familiarity with Securities & Exchange Commission, Department of Justice, Food & Drug Administration regulations.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-01