Executive Director – Policy/Government Relations
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
The Executive Director is responsible for providing leadership, direction, and coordination of public policy initiatives and advocacy related to our Company’s business interests. The Executive Director is responsible for identifying policy opportunities and threats of importance to the company, working internally to analyze the impact of these policies and developing and leading external advocacy strategies to achieve desired results. The Executive Director will advance our Company’s relationships with key external stakeholders that shape public policies and is responsible for advocating in support of our Company’s positions and strategic business priorities in assigned areas.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Shape the policy environment by strategically engaging policy makers and other influencers on issues of importance to our Company.
- Work internally with policy team and other relevant internal stakeholders to develop policy positions on assigned issue areas
- Develop and execute external advocacy strategies on priority policy issues engaging multiple types of stakeholders (internal, external, policy maker, third party groups, etc)
- Play a leadership role in member associations and coalitions to ensure their advocacy positions and activities are aligned with our Company’s positions
- Support efforts to enhance the Company’s PAC and grassroots programs.
- Manage assigned external consultants
- BS/BA required
- Minimum 8 years of experience in health care policy environment
- Demonstrated ability to identify strategic priorities, work within a matrix organization to bring together different internal stakeholders, and develop and manage a project forward to resolution and action
- Ability to work on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with a minimum degree of supervision
- High degree of ethics
- Experience managing consultants and budgets
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required
- Previous Capitol Hill experience is strongly preferred
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-15