Executive, Government Relations
Purpose of Job
Drives development and implementation of corporate policy through strategic partnerships with government and industry groups aligning with business objectives. Company’s contact for legislative and public policy matters. Serves as company liaison to and fosters relationships with key members of government and industry groups to promote company interests. Prepares policy briefings, testimony for pending legislative actions and provides thought leadership and recommendations. Ensures appropriate company participation in government forums and industry group meetings. Works with policymakers, leaders of government and industry councils and lobbyists to influence public policy, monitor government initiatives and advocate for specific plans to advance the company’s objectives. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Serves in a leadership capacity and has responsibility for performance management and professional development activities for government relations professionals responsible for specific states
- Provides directional guidance and workload prioritization duties in support of operations for the area assigned
- Provides executive-level thought leadership, strategy development, and financial and operational planning
- Applies subject matter expert functional knowledge to lead a team in producing work deliverables in support of departmental and enterprise initiatives
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with key state policymakers and opinion leaders, to help created an understanding of USAA, its objectives and mission
- Monitor the legislative and regulatory processes at all levels of the state government, while ensuring that leadership is aware of impending policy and legal issues of interest to USAA
- Respond to inquiries on policy issues on behalf of USAA, and oversee the development and dissemination of positions to advance USAA’s objectives, including testimony, comments on regulations, and policy-related talking points and messages
- Ensure proper coordination with the organization’s other divisions with respect to government affairs operations impacting USAA
- Represent USAA at trade groups, and develop extensive relationships with industry peers and other stakeholder groups
- Collaborates with key clients and stakeholders enterprise-wide, influencing decisions to achieve USAA’s strategic goals
- Coordinate and recommend PAC contributions to state candidates and corporate contributions where permitted
- Identifies opportunities and facilitates major improvements to processes and systems.
Performs highly complex tasks under minimal supervision and has discretion to deviate from established procedures and guidelines
- Leads broad functional and enterprise projects
- Bachelor’s degree required.
4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree
- 10 or more years of progressive related experience developing strategies, managing major initiatives and delivering results within a complex matrix environment required.
6 or more years of people leadership experience in building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams required
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals required.
Executive-level business acumen in the areas of business operations, industry practices and emerging trends required
- Demonstrated ability to work with government officials, including senior administration officials, Members of state legislatures and state agency officials
- Demonstrated track record of working with and earning the trust and confidence of high profile government leaders, and serving as a trusted advisor/counselor
- Experience and understanding of financial services regulation
- Working knowledge of the legislative and political structures in Florida and Georgia
- Demonstrated strong record of planning and executing successful lobbying and government affairs initiatives
- Proven experience building partnerships and strategic alliances.
- Proven track record of successfully influencing legislative efforts
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-29