Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Executive Vice President of Social Impact
Blue Star Families is a growing non-profit Military Service Organization (MSO)) with a history of delivering innovative solutions. Senior DoD leaders seek out Blue Star Families when they want ground truth on issues facing our military families. Blue Star team members are motivated individuals that help each other do remarkable things for military families to bridge the civilian-military divide every day. The organization delivers: first-class solutions that transform the military experience for military family members; operates in an agile, highly caffeinated arena where great minds come together to make life better for military members and their families; and focuses on data-driven insights while understanding the value of spirited storytelling. And this is done in a highly flexible, virtual environment with unlimited PTO, time off for military moves, paid holidays, 403b match, and benefits! This diverse and inclusive environment fosters a sense of belonging among team members resulting in innovative and creative decision-making.
Are you ready to make a difference for the families of those who serve our great nation? Blue Star Families is the ideal match for the innovator, the out-of-the box, strategic thinker who understands the value of social impact. You are self-motivated, curious, and have a passion to do good. Challenging goals, pivoting priorities, and the ability to react to an ever-changing environment allows your true strengths to shine.
This role will require an experienced and visionary social impact professional to create and implement social impact strategies that leverage BSF’s research and programmatic efforts. As the champion for our social impact, this role will play a pivotal leadership role in influencing, shaping, and reinforcing our theory of change to listen, share, partner, and act.
The EVP of Social Impact will be responsible for strong collaboration with key business functions to identify existing programs and initiatives that fall under the umbrella of the Social Impact Program and then formalize them, as well as to develop future programs and initiatives.
The EVP of Social Impact will represent BSF internally and externally and will drive awareness and engagement through partnerships in the Corporate, Military, and Veteran Service Organization (MSO/VSO) and government space.
This role encompasses national level program design and delivery, research, policy analysis and evaluation, military spouse employment initiatives, and volunteer engagement. It will help drive a highly influential cross-sector collaborative of non-profits, government partners, and corporate and philanthropic leaders. This role will also help charter the direction of Blue Star Families through engagement with executive and senior leaders of Blue Star Families and the Board of Directors.
KEY EVP RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead Social Impact outreach and relationship building efforts with Military and Veteran Service Organization (MSO/VSOs) partners and other organizations that are aligned with BSF’s Social Impact Program’s goals
- Manage/own relationships with BSF’s leading government partners including the White House, Defense Health Agency (DHA) and the Veterans Administration (VA) along with the Congressional Military Family Caucus and other Congressional offices
- Build BSF’s Social Impact Program and create a strategic, integrated framework to support the maintenance and expansion of BSF key initiatives
- Map out a year-long Social Impact calendar as part of a broader Social Impact Strategic Plan to build awareness and excitement throughout the organization
- Track and communicate Social Impact activities to internal and external stakeholders, including an annual “Social Impact Report” to drive program awareness and communicate results
- Manage the Social Impact of The White Oak Collaborative (WOC) and the White Oak Retreat (WOR); the WOC seeks to address the challenges faced by military- and Veteran-connected communities through data-driven, cross-sector partnerships among its members for direct service and/or policy-level solutions—while applying a whole-of-family lens
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications team to raise awareness of Social Impact activities by amplifying BSF’s social impact narrative through storytelling and the virtuous circle
- Advance internal Social Impact goals by aligning with the Talent Acquisition team
- Oversee the intersection of Social Impact with research, policy, and programs
- Grow Blue Star Families’ presence and brand awareness through a new partnership program, BSF Outposts, and through an enhanced volunteer program that leverages large, civilian-centric organizations to bridge the civilian-military gap
- Oversee implementation of a uniform and effective evaluation process for Blue Star Families programs to ensure programs have highest possible ROI
- Represent and speak on behalf of BSF to external stakeholders, including the media; provide testimony on Capitol Hill; present BSF programs to key community influencers, and organization stakeholders
- Engage with Blue Star Families advisory committees to further the social impact mission
- Engage in cross departmental collaboration to prepare funding proposals and secure philanthropic support
- Recruit, train, supervise, and appraise qualified personnel in the Social Impact and Programs Department
- Maintain a professional climate that attracts, retains, and motivates top quality personnel, both paid and volunteer
- Understanding of the non-profit sector
- Seven to 10 or more years related experience required, senior management experience preferred
- Extensive experience in partnership building and social impact management
- Understanding of applied, mixed-methods, social science research
- Demonstrated administrative, strategic, and leadership skills, including the ability to develop and implement action plans
- Strong public speaking skills, including experience speaking before live audiences and interacting with the media
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners
- Experience developing and managing budgets; experience hiring, training, developing, supervising, and appraising employees
- Experience managing high-performing, geographically dispersed teams in a virtual work environment
- Familiarity with the military lifestyle; knowledge of Military and Veteran Service Organizations (MSO/VSO) operating in this space
- Ability to operate in a fast-moving, fluid environment
- Advanced degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Public or Business Administration, Public Policy, or related field.
A competitive compensation package composed of base salary will be offered to attract a superior candidate.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-23