Experienced State Government Relations Professional, Public Policy Department
Position: Experienced State Government Relations Professional, Public Policy Department
Reports To: VP, SGR Public Policy Department and Chief of Public Policy
Job Overview: Manage and execute all lobbying activity for the Distilled Spirits Council of the U.S. (DISCUS) public policy objectives in the state legislatures, state agencies, trade associations and coalitions, as appropriate, in the Central region.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Development and execution of DISCUS’ Central region legislative strategies.
- Directly manage contract lobbyists.
- Monitor, research, and analyze legislation and policy developments of importance to the distilled spirits industry.
- Develop memos and testimony, deliver testimony, policy papers, letters, talking points, op-eds, etc.
- Advocate public policy positions with policymakers, regulators (state legislatures and stage agencies).
- Develop collaborative relationships with other alcohol industry trade associations.
- Communicate public policy positions, actions and strategies internally and with member companies.
- Attend events, fund raisers and meetings as appropriate that are directly related to advancing the Council’s public policy objectives.
- Work independently on behalf of DISCUS, as well as in coalitions and other targeted campaigns, as appropriate.
- Ability to attend events and meetings outside of regular work hours.
- Activities as assigned that contribute to the mission of the organization.
- Domestic travel is required.
- This is a remote position but must be located near an airport and ideally located near a state capitol within the central region.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required. JD, Master’s Degree in Political Science, Public Policy, Government, International Relations, Communications, Economics or Business desired.
Experience: 7+ years of experience in state government relations. Beverage alcohol experience preferred.
- Outstanding knowledge of the state legislative process and excellent legislative relationships
- Prior state house experience
- Experience with and willingness to provide media interviews
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates ability to plan-ahead, manage multiple projects at once, work independently and accurately, and maintain deadlines
- Employs strong attention to detail and follow through
- Utilizes time efficiently and ensures work plans are adhered to in a timely manner
- Strong understanding and utilization of social media platforms (e.g. Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Expertise in Microsoft Office products (especially Word and Excel) and web-based research
- A strong team player, who is willing to collaborate with other members of the Public Policy team and contribute to other DISCUS initiatives
- A creative and strategic person who can anticipate trends and can work independently
- An ability to work in a fast-paced environment and with a sense of urgency
DISCUS is the leading voice for distilled spirits in the United States and serves as the industry’s advocate across the nation, representing the leading producers and marketers of distilled spirits. DISCUS is headquartered in Washington, DC. EOE
Please contact Senta Boardley at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for the position. Please include your resume, cover letter and salary requirement when submitting your application packet. l
Job posted: 2020-06-17