External Affairs & Communications Partner
About DC Green Bank
DC Green Bank is a new independent agency, established by the Green Finance Authority Establishment Act of 2018 to leverage public capital to accelerate private sector investments that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and advance the District of Columbia’s ambitious sustainability and resiliency goals. Using limited public funding and bonding authority, DC Green Bank will attract private sector funding. Through its financing offerings, the organization will enable private capital to fill gaps by reducing real and perceived risk, absorbing transaction costs, and providing private investors the chance to learn about new market opportunities with the security of government partnership. An institutional goal is to accelerate the deployment of low-carbon technologies by mitigating upfront costs, leveraging private investment, and increasing the catalytic impact of public dollars.
DC Green Bank seeks an External Affairs & Communications Partner to help launch this cutting-edge, mission-driven organization. Working with the leadership team, the External Affairs & Communications Partner manages government relationships and advocacy, developing relationships with key local and national government officials, to support and advance the mission of DC Green Bank. Lobbying on the District and Federal levels, the Partner should have knowledge in sustainability and climate change policy. The Partner will play an important role in determining the strategic direction of this growing, high-impact organization.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key staff in the District and Federal government to advance the mission of DC Green Bank and advocate for regulatory climate change innovation.
- Must develop and lead a positive, consistent partnership with the Mayor’s office.
- Create and operationalize a comprehensive external relations and government affairs advocacy plan.
- Primary focus areas include advocating for construction standards and enhanced renewable energy in Washington, DC.
- Consistently monitor and analyze legislation, to identify opportunities and threats to the organization’s mission; prepare regular legislative summaries and briefs to inform internal practices, advise clients, and impact lawmaking.
- Identify, create, and support opportunities to provide testimony, statements for the record, and other methods for high-impact legislative and regulatory influence.
- Lead the external public relations efforts to inform constituents of the Bank’s happenings.
- Become knowledgeable about the legal standards for the Bank, supporting the General Counsel in their duties.
- Partner with the Chief Investment Officer to secure prestigious advocates and investors.
- Uphold and regularly enact DC Green Bank’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has experience in lobbying and/or significantly influencing government relationships and legislation, with a background in clean energy, climate financing, or blended finance. You are a public policy guru with demonstrated ability to build solid relationships with key officials. You have experience creatively designing and implementing an external affairs plan, creating tangible goals. You are committed to advocating for, engaging, and partnering with stakeholders, especially in under-served communities. You may already have connections or experience collaborating with the non-profit, financial, energy, affordable housing, and public sectors, specifically government officials. You are willing to take on additional responsibilities to fill the needs of DC Green Bank. You are committed to tackling climate change issues at a local level for global impact and you will strive to bring an entrepreneurial and creative spirit to DC Green Bank.
DC Green Bank is committed to reaching multiple constituents in the District. Candidates who are fluent or proficient in speaking multiple languages is desirable.
Ultimately, we are looking for the right person with the right set of skills to fill the position. There is no perfect candidate. Highlight the best parts of your experience that align with the job description.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Policy Administration, or related field.
- Prior experience in government relations, external affairs, communications, or public relations. Work in sustainability and finance is a plus.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and willingness to ask questions to clarify assignments.
- Understanding of Congressional and other governmental policies, rules, and policies.
- Commitment to the mission of DC Green Bank.
- Status: Full-time
- Location: Remote during DC’s stay-at-home order; Washington, DC required when stay-at-home order is lifted
- Salary, Title, and Benefits commensurate with experience
Interested applicants should submit (1) a detailed cover letter expressing their interest and fit for the position, and (2) a CV/resume clearly outlining experience, abilities, and qualifications satisfying the needs of the organization.
Learn more here
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Job posted: 2020-09-27