Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
External Affairs Manager
The NYU Furman Center invites applications for an External Affairs Manager. The External Affairs Manager will lead external relations for the NYU Furman Center, including its Housing Solutions Lab, and will be responsible for developing and implementing a range of strategies to communicate the Center’s research to target audiences. This involves translating, disseminating, and synthesizing research, as well as policy and data analysis for key stakeholders that include policymakers, practitioners, media, and the public. The successful applicant will help lead the Furman Center’s strategic thinking about new directions and modes for disseminating the Center’s work.
Key responsibilities include:
- Help assemble content and identify/invite participants for policy-relevant panel events
- Determine/assist in public messaging through email communications and social media
- Work with researchers across the center to originate relevant content, including timely analysis of newly-released data, or contextualizing research findings for important policy conversations
- Respond to outreach from legislators, advocacy organizations, research organizations, social service providers, and the many other groups who want to interact with our team
- Meet with policymaker staff to discuss research/policy issues
- Organize and host webinars and training sessions on CoreData.nyc and other topics
- Work with the executive director and data team to respond to external requests
- Directly respond to press requests (data/facts and figures)
- Coordinate interviews between members of the press and faculty/staff
- Proactively seek opportunities to engage with members of the press who would report on our research
- Communicate with members of the press about topics of interest, and position the NYU Furman Center as a resource either on- or off-the-record in their work
- Oversee communications-focused Graduate Research Assistants on preparation of presentations, blog posts, social media posts, Housing Starts news digest emails, Housing Solutions Lab monthly newsletter emails, periodic Lab on-line features and calls for applications, and other external content
- Serve as brand steward for the organization, working with other staff to maintain the NYU Furman Center’s website and style guide, and to ensure that all public-facing content meets the organization’s rigorous quality and design standards
- Work with a graphic designer to manage design aspects of NYU Furman Center research projects, including reports, presentations, data visualizations, and website content
Qualifications: Master’s degree in urban planning, public policy, journalism, or related field, and 2 years work experience in communications, external affairs, public relations, or similar positions, or bachelor’s degree and 5 years relevant work experience, required. The successful applicant will be entrepreneurial and organized, with a mix of housing policy knowledge and excellent problem-solving, project management, and verbal and written communication skills.
The ideal candidate will also have experience with integrated communications planning, particularly media relations; and comfort communicating complex quantitative findings and legal concepts to a diverse audience.
The position comes with a salary and a generous array of benefits, which include medical, dental, and vision. Further information regarding benefits can be found at: http://www.nyu.edu/employees/benefit/full-time/Professional-Research-Staff-Code-103.html.
In compliance with NYC’s Pay Transparency Act, the annual base salary range for this position is $70,000 – $125,000. New York University considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and organizational considerations when extending an offer.
To Apply: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume/CV, a publication sample, names and contact information of three references, and salary requirements. Send application materials and questions to email@example.com. Please include “External Affairs Manager” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job posted: 2023-02-02