External Affairs Manager
Who We Are
Clean Power Alliance (CPA) is Southern California’s locally operated community choice aggregation (CCA)
electricity provider across 32 communities within Los Angeles and Ventura counties, providing clean
renewable energy at competitive rates. CPA is the largest CCA in California and fifth-largest electric load
serving entity in the State, serving over three million residents and businesses through approximately
one million customer accounts.
What You’ll Do
CPA is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic professional to join our growing team as
External Affairs Manager, based in Ventura County. The External Affairs Manager will serve as liaison
between CPA’s internal team and the local governments and community stakeholders in CPA’s Ventura
County service territory and will be responsible for ensuring these regional leaders are informed about
CPA’s operations and programs. This role involves direct communication with local elected officials, city
and county staff, community-based organizations, chambers of commerce / business associations, and
customers. The External Affairs Manager will participate in and/or manage other special projects to
support CPA’s external goals.
Who You’ll Work With
You will work closely with CPA’s member agencies, community stakeholders, and the marketing and
outreach, customer programs, customer service and account management teams. The External Affairs
Manager reports to the Director of External Affairs.
Commitment to Diversity
At CPA, we value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We represent a diverse customer base and intend to hire employees that reflect our communities. Clean
Power Alliance provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national
origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
CPA fosters a culture of open communication, responsibility, and intellectual curiosity. As a small team
building the largest CCA in California, high levels of trust, collaboration, and mission alignment are key.
We value transparency, responsiveness, and innovation.
Successful Candidates Must Demonstrate the Following Abilities:
• Enjoy engaging with passionate internal and external stakeholders
• Be a strong communicator who can write compellingly and clearly
• Have a high tolerance for uncertainty but know how to bring things to resolution
• Have a strong work ethic and be comfortable taking initiative and working in a fast paced, startup environment
• Work well on diverse teams and with consultants
• Be able to interpret and explain policies, procedures, and regulations
• Translate complex technical information into non-technical messages for customers
• Be able to organize and carry out projects with minimal instruction, compose correspondence
independently based on policy and guidelines and maintain complex records
Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as liaison to the County of Ventura and seven cities in Ventura County that are members
of CPA to ensure they are informed about CPA’s ongoing service operations, customer program
activities, and policy initiatives, and resolve issues with CPA service that arise at the local
• Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the labor, business, environmental and
social justice communities, along with neighborhood and community development
• Identify and develop new partnerships that can strengthen CPA’s role as a leader in the clean
energy industry and in the region; represent CPA in such partnerships in Ventura County.
• Represent CPA and speak at various public events on behalf of CPA to clearly articulate its vision
for cleaner power at competitive rates, local control, and customer programs.
• Engage with CPA’s Community Advisory Committee members that represent Ventura County
communities to ensure the needs of Ventura County are appropriately reflected in the Advisory
• Prepare and deliver effective staff reports and presentations to the Board of Directors and
• Collaborate with CPA’s marketing and outreach staff in engaging with customers on social
media, through digital and print materials, media, and other communication channels.
• Respond to residential customer inquiries and support CPA’s account services and customer
service teams in bringing customer issues to resolution.
• Other duties as assigned.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in Public or Environmental Policy, Political Science,
Communications, or a related field and a minimum of three years of government affairs and/or
community relations experience. Energy sector experience and familiarity with Ventura County regional
issues and stakeholders are highly desired. Spanish language, social media and digital communication
skills are a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational, scheduling, time management skills and attention to detail
• Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Pro software
• Knowledge of modern office procedures and practices including preparing correspondence, filing,
and operating modern office equipment; correct English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary,
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $80,000-100,000, with exact compensation to be determined by
Clean Power Alliance, dependent on experience. Benefits include health care, a 401(k)-like match
program, paid vacation, and sick leave. This is not a civil service position.
How to Apply
Candidates should send a succinct and well-written cover letter and resume with 3 references to
email@example.com. The start date for the position is as soon as possible and will remain open
Job posted: 2020-09-09