External Affairs Manager (SME Education)
Full Job Description
Kajeet, Inc. is all about innovation. We are a leading wireless solutions provider enabling education, business, government, and telecom service providers to customize the fast-moving world of wireless services to fit their needs. Kajeet is the leading wireless solution provider in education, helping students in over 2700 school districts connect to the internet for schoolwork. Kajeet’s Sentinel IoT platform provides innovative and optimized wireless data solutions to small business, enterprise, and public sector markets including telehealth, transportation, and remote workforce. For more than 15 years, we have built upon our deep expertise and agility in delivering highly configurable, unique solutions. Our management team is comprised of industry experts who seek an open environment for innovation, personal growth, and making a difference. Our fast-paced culture means you will never be bored and will have an opportunity to strengthen your professional career. The wireless world is constantly changing; we want you to be part of that journey.
External Affairs Manager
We are looking for a passionate professional with an entrepreneurial mindset to play a critical role in developing, coordinating, and implementing strategies and activities that advance the company’s policy, legislative and business development interests at the federal, state and local level. Working remotely or from our company headquarters in McLean, VA, this position will report directly to the Sr. Vice President & General Manager for Education. The Manager will anticipate and manage the company’s agenda throughout the United States including legislative and executive branch relations at the federal and state level; coordination with retained advisors and lobbyists; as well as with various national associations that have a vested interest in education and broadband policy.
You will prioritize legislative, policy and advocacy goals based on key business priorities and conducted in conjunction with business leaders throughout company departments and functions. You will be responsible for managing the proactive engagement plan around Kajeet’s short- and long-term policy and advocacy priorities across our business operations. Your priority is to shape the policy landscape through credible engagement with elected officials, policymakers, and other stakeholders, while working alongside other colleagues of the leadership team, representing the team in a variety of engagements and meetings, and be responsible for communicating the business impact to key external and internal stakeholders.
In This Role, Your Main Missions Are
· Develops and implements legislative strategies, monitors legislation, and coordinates federal, state and local association management, key contacts programs, training, and compliance.
· Executes against strategic goals / priorities for and across the company by integrating capabilities that include government relations, policy, advocacy, community outreach, and public affairs.
· Monitoring and tracking relevant legislative, regulatory, and public policy developments at a federal and state level; and clearly communicating their impact on Kajeet and our target markets.
· Developing an internal communication strategy to inform Kajeet employees on advocacy.
· Facilitating meetings of business leaders with policymakers, and brief business leaders on government relations and public affairs developments.
· Develop and maintain relationships with government representatives and regulators as needed.
· Establishes and maintains relationships with trade groups and relevant organizations and serves as a liaison between state and national associations on public policy issues.
· Draft, analyze and/or present legislation, amendments, and testimony as necessary.
· Build and maintain a comprehensive policy engagement approach that prioritizes key business initiatives for Kajeet. The strategy will address both near-term business needs and threats as well as a longer-term view designed to position Kajeet as the leader in shaping a market-based environment that meets the future needs of the company, our employees, and clients.
· Navigate the current business, legislative, and political environment to address regulatory, legislative and policy issues that may impact corporate growth and profitability.
· Cultivate and maintain relationships within the Administration, federal agencies, and Congress, that will distinguish the company as a leader in education and broadband policy with a particular focus on digital equity and access for disadvantaged populations.
· Create sound policy platforms and implement comprehensive advocacy strategies through engagement with key internal business partners and other stakeholders. External work will center on aggressive participation with key associations as well as in conjunction with our marketing and strategy teams and their relationships with credible 3rd party groups.
· Performance of other duties as required.
Sound good? What You will Need to Land this Job:
This position requires significant attention to detail, as well as constant communication with internal team members and external partners. The successful candidate is proactive, creative and an assertive advocate for the business and our mission. The candidate for this role has strong communication skills (written and oral), can work concurrently on multiple projects, works well with others, and learns quickly.
· Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred, with 5-10+ years’ work experience in government, political or management consulting, lobbying, in-house Government Relations.
· Experience in the following areas: federal and state government; legislative affairs; policy; advocacy.
· Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance and operate with integrity and within company values; maintain high standards for ethical practice.
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret legislation, regulation, contracts, and legal documents.
· Ability to set clear objectives and effectively implement comprehensive government affairs strategies that include policy development, advocacy, coalition building, messaging, material generation and other means necessary to meet defined goals.
· Flexibility to travel as needed, experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and work nights and weekends as needed.
· Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects concurrently.
· Excellent problem-solving and strategic thinking skills.
· Ability to present complex issues in clearly written language.
· Detail-orientation with an ability to prioritize and meet aggressive goals.
· Demonstrated ability to coordinate cross-functional groups to accomplish goals.
· Solid written, oral, and presentation skills with ability to communicate effectively with audiences inside and outside the organization.
Other skills that would really be awesome:
· A demonstrated understanding of education technology and broadband related policies and issues.
· Strong relationships with key administrative and congressional staff and knowledge and experience with key agencies and committees preferred.
· Experienced public speaker, comfortable communicating effectively and on message, and responding to tough questions from diverse constituencies; including from industry associations, high-ranking elected officials, media or others.
· Demonstrated experience negotiating with legislative staff and other groups effectively, while also creating positive relationships
· Experience in people and project management with a focus on strong interpersonal skills, strategic leadership, decision-making, and relationship building.
· Demonstrated experience in core education, telecommunication and broadband issues and other related expertise in issues of critical importance to Kajeet and its business.
· Experience working with a variety of stakeholders, including trade associations and coalitions, and ability to proactively drive objectives by effectively bring individuals together.
· Creative thinker, able to think outside the box and pursue new solutions with a willingness to hold yourself, team members and consultants accountable to continuously anticipate challenges, identify opportunities, and deliver results.
· Experience working with NGA, NCSL, CCSSO, AASA, NSBA, SHLB, and other related associations.
· Experience and relationships within the US Dept of Education, FCC, NTIA, and other relevant agencies.
· Experience and relationships with state departments of education and state broadband offices.
· Experience working in virtual teams and in a growth-stage company environment with a strong work ethic, “get-it-done” attitude and ability to wear multiple hats.
· Experience with Office 365, Teams, Salesforce.com, Zoom and other collaboration & meeting platforms.
The Good Stuff:
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation, commensurate with experience, and our extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Kajeet, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-18