External Affairs Representative I
Nearly 7.5 million customers in 18 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va. The company is committed to sustainable, reliable, affordable, and safe energy and is one of the nation’s largest producers and transporters of energy with about $100 billion of assets providing electric generation, transmission and distribution, as well as natural gas storage, transmission, distribution, and import/export services.
As one of the nation’s leading solar operators, the company intends to reduce its carbon intensity 60 percent by 2030. Through its Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation, as well as EnergyShare and other programs, Dominion Energy contributed more than $30 million in 2018 to community causes throughout its footprint and beyond. Please visit www.DominionEnergy.com, to learn more.
Diversity is linked to every aspect of our business to include how we attract, develop and retain our future talent. An inclusive environment encourages the coming together of different talents, thoughts and energies. The company’s commitment to employing military veterans through the Troops to Energy Jobs program is one way we are able to ensure workforce diversity.
This position is located at our 8th & Main building in Richmond, Virginia.
This position is not eligible for relocation assistance,
This is the first level of a three level job series that develops, coordinates and implements community affairs programs to facilitate understanding of the energy industry and to enhance the company’s image.
- Assists with legislative research, strategy, tracking, talking points and reporting in Virginia and other states.
- Assists with research in major areas of public policy such as renewable policy, climate change policy and grid modernization policy.
- Drafts statements and presentations for executives.
- Monitors meetings of various legislative, regulatory and stakeholder groups.
- Performs competitive intelligence gathering and general research related to peer utilities and in support of company legislation and outreach efforts.
- With guidance from more experienced staff, evaluates the effectiveness of policies and programs related to the needs of the community and recommends improvements.
- Works to enhance the image of Dominion and to heighten awareness of Dominion’s role in the communities it serves and to represent the company and communicates its positions, policies and programs to community and local government groups.
- Participates in implementing short- and long-term community based decisions and goals.
- Works with more senior level representatives and management to gain business expertise.
- May work with more senior level staff to establish consistent and effective communication channels with municipal, regional and state officials.
- Partners effectively to help achieve Dominion’s growth objectives and to assist the company operating personnel in the communities in which we operate.
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
- BS or BA – Public Affairs, Public Policy, Economics, other related field or equivalent experience plus one year of directly related experience.
- Basic knowledge of company functions across all business units.
- Basic understanding of the legislative process at the state government level.
- Effective interpersonal skills, ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated personal computer skills.
- Ability to learn to accomplish assigned duties using a variety of medias, to include, written communications, personal contact, personal presentations, and speeches.
- Ability to communicate effectively and develop rapport with the public.
- Related work experience or exposure to community affairs with regards to the preparation and dissemination of publicity and good-will information.
BS or BA – Public Affairs, Public Policy, Economics, other related field or equivalent experience plus one year of directly related experience.
Office Work Environment 51-75%
No Testing Required
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click here dombenefits.com.
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
Learn more here
You can experience the excitement of our company – it’s the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
Job posted: 2019-04-27