External Affairs and Social Performance (EA&SP) Manager
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Haile Gold Mine Operation near Kershaw, South Carolina as the External Affairs and Social Performance (EA&SP) Manager.
Lead the EA&SP function at Haile to build long term, sustainable relationships with government, communities, NGOs, the Catawba Tribe and other key stakeholders and contribute to Haile’s improved operational and social performance.
The role will lead the integration of EA&SP aspects into Haile’s operations and project development processes to mitigate risks related to social and compliance risks. The role will support Haile’s operational requirements, permitting requirements and work with the management team to proactively manage Haile’s effects on local communities.
The EA&SP function at Haile is responsible for government relations, major permitting, land access, communities, communities and social performance, human rights and leading the coordination of the operation’s contribution to sustainable development.
The ideal candidate will have relevant experience in mining or similar industry as well as exemplary interpersonal and networking skills.
In collaboration with the Haile operations and project development teams:
- Lead the coordination and integration of major permitting, social/community aspects into operations and project development planning.
- Implement forward planning to identify gaps and risks in the concurrent permitting processes, community and stakeholder expectations and scenarios related to legislative changes.
- Ensure consistent and proactive coordination and planning and alignment between business, community and legislative aspects.
Lead Haile’s government and government and regulatory strategy including:
- Maintain a full perspective of the company’s business as it relates to the policy, political and regulatory requirements at the local, State and Federal levels
- Establish and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders in government
- Identify emerging policy / permitting trends and requirements and manage Haile’s responses and preparedness
- Lead involvement, advocacy and representation of Haile’s interests in the development of policy / legislation that affects the company’s interests
- Lead the required engagement with government and regulators to support permitting processes
- Lead Haile’s relationship building and partnership with the Catawba Tribe, environmental NGOs, and other civil society groups with interest/influence on Haile’s operations and business.
- Ensure key stakeholders are informed and involved in Haile’s operational aspects of interest
- Ensure key stakeholders are informed and involved in Haile’s regulatory and permitting processes
- Build partnerships that support local aspirations, beneficial societal outcomes and Haile’s long-term operational goals
Lead Haile communities and social performance approach including:
- Build and maintain relationships with local community groups to ensure Haile’s operational performance and business planning supports and aligns with local expectations and aspirations
- Through implementation of the company’s EA&SP Management System, build a strategic approach to identifying and mitigation social impacts/effects ensuring early and full identification of social and political impacts
- Collaborate with Haile operations and business functions to develop and implement management approaches for effects
- Ensure that mitigation approaches to impact management are effective, socially acceptable, supported by data, and contribute to a life of mine focus that minimizes harm and helps build resilient communities
- Lead the development of Haile’s internal and external communication strategies to enhance internal company linages, deliver effective external messaging and promote and protect OceanaGold’s reputation.
- Ensure that Haile’s approach and performance aligns with the Company’s Corporate Governance and Responsible Mining Policies, especially the EA&SP Management System.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher. Experience with policy, government, and/or legal affairs a plus.
- 10 + years’ knowledge and experience in government / community engagement, policy development, regulatory processes in South Carolina / USA
- Analytical and detail oriented with demonstrated technical competence across permitting, community engagement, civil society engagement and partnerships
- High level of experience in community consultation, government and stakeholder engagement
- Advanced consultation, facilitation, negotiation, interpersonal skills, report writing and presentation skills
- Dynamic team player with strong coaching and influencing
- Proactive collaborator with strong consensus building skills
Oceanagold is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-03