External Communication Manager, North America
Princeton, NJ/Baltimore, MD/Saddle Brook, NJ/Bristol, PA
Job Overview and Responsibilities
The External Communications Manager, North America, manages external communications for Solvay in the U.S., reporting into the North America communications head with “dotted line” reporting into the global external communications team and working in close partnership with Solvay’s U.S. public affairs and legal teams.
This position will work closely with important external stakeholders, policymakers, media, regulators and trade associations, therefore the ideal candidate will be located anywhere in the Northeast.
- Lead the development and execution of Solvay’s issues management and crisis communications strategies and activities in the U.S.
- Partner with the North America communications leader on the development and implementation of Solvay’s public relations strategy in the US.
- Manage Solvay’s U.S. media relations, including acting as a company spokesperson and building relationships with journalists and other media professionals, to position the company favorably with the press and manage reputational issues.
- Build relationships with teams across Solvay, always staying informed of key topics and getting needed input/approvals on communications materials.
- Proactively identify emerging topics and trends relevant to Solvay’s business and reputation, including traditional and social media monitoring.
- Develop and adapt the strategy for ongoing issues, craft messaging and content for internal and external audiences, proactively identifying target audiences.
- Identify and train other key spokespeople and manage Solvay’s messaging towards media and other external stakeholders.
- Monitor the development of public relations issues, and keep senior leaders informed of pertinent developments and actions.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Degree in communication, public relations, marketing or a related field.
- 5-10 years of experience in public relations, crisis communications and/or reputation management in a similar corporate or agency environment.
- Strategic communicator with sound judgment
- Strong understanding of the media landscape and journalism
- Creative/innovative thinking and risk-taker
- High level of agility and ability to stay calm under pressure
- Results and deadline oriented
- Agility, flexibility and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Able to understand complex (often scientific or regulatory) issues and formulate clear narratives to explain them to lay audiences
- Proactive approach and able to advance key projects independently
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English (other languages a plus)
- Spokesperson skills
- Scientific and/or regulatory/political background
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-30