External Communications Specialist
Solid Ground believes poverty is solvable. Our communities are stronger when we support
stability and break down the barriers to overcoming poverty. Solid Ground does both. We
combine direct services with advocacy to meet basic needs, nurture success, and spread change.
Through our programs, people gain stability and build skills that equip them to move forward in
their lives. Through advocacy, we work toward ending racism and other oppressions embedded
in our institutions, policies, and culture that hold people back from succeeding. We bring the
voices of people experiencing poverty into the political process, furthering social justice and
supporting our entire community to reach its potential. As our workforce evolves to reflect the
diversity of the communities we serve, our agency and workplace will be enriched and
strengthened and as such we will:
• Demonstrate the initiative to learn and enhance skills that promote anti-racism, cultural
competency and an understanding of oppression and its impact
• Participate in intentional learning efforts, including events relating to understanding and
dismantling institutional racism and building cultural competency
Job Summary: The External Communications Specialist will create written and multi-media
content to help Solid Ground connect with donors, volunteers, program participants and the
general public. Working in collaboration with the Communications staff and our partners in
Resource Development and program departments, the Specialist will work on a combination of
assigned and self-initiated projects to be published via Solid Ground’s website, blog, social
channels, email blasts and other media and featured in event programs. The position will also
pioneer improved communications with residents at Solid Ground housing facilities.
Essential Responsibilities, Duties and Tasks:
40% Writing, reporting
• Promote the work and positive impacts of Solid Ground’s programs and advocacy to
community stakeholders, donors and general public by authoring blog posts, Eblast content,
long-form pieces such as annual reports and community needs assessments and video or
other multi-media productions.
• Collaborate with staff from programs, Communications and Resource Development to
identify stories, interview sources, research issues, draft pieces and participate in editorial
process to refine and publish work.
• Participate in the development and updating of Solid Ground’s key messages and
communications strategies and integrate key messages and strategies throughout projects.
25% Program outreach to participants
• Collaborate with Solid Ground programs to support marketing and content development to
achieve their goals.
• Support communications with residents at the Sand Point Housing campus. Help develop
outreach materials for print and virtual media.
15% Fundraising content
• Support the Resource Development department by collaborating on content for special
events, fundraising campaigns and fundraising materials, to include talking points for public
speakers, direct mail materials, brochures, handouts and more.
10% Anti-racism organizing
• Participate as an active member of the Resource Development-Volunteer ServicesCommunications Anti-Racism Action Team. Work on the larger team and in small group
settings to move group projects forwards.
10% Administration/Internal Operations
• Participate in departmental, program and agency meetings and relevant trainings as
required, including the cross-agency Communications Functional Leadership Team.
• Represent Communications in meetings throughout the agency.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
Requires one of the following) Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing/PR, journalism or related field and a
minimum of two years’ experience writing blog posts, marketing communications,
b) Any combination of education, experience and measurable performance which
demonstrates the capability to perform the duties of this position
• Excellent written, verbal and visual communication skills and attention to detail.
(Candidates invited to interview will be asked to submit a portfolio showcasing their work)
• Strong project management and organizational skills
• Ability to take initiative, handle multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize tasks, and work
both independently and collaboratively to meet deadlines
• Ability to collaborate across a highly complex organization
• Self-motivated, resourceful, creative, and confident, critical thinker with sound judgment
and the ability to problem solve
• Demonstrated passion for social justice and anti-oppression work, and developing related
• Strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office, Microsoft 365 (Teams and
SharePoint) and Adobe Creative Suite
• Commitment to use skills and develop new ones to end poverty and undo racism and other
root causes of poverty
• Experience working in a non-profit setting
• Dynamic personality and excellent interpersonal skills
• Video editing and production skills
• Fluency in a language other than English
Physical Demands/Working Conditions: This position works in an office setting and/or from
home 80% of the time and in the field 20% of the time (pandemic guidelines permitting).
Employee will spend about 80% of their time working on the computer; 5-10% on the phone and
performing miscellaneous office work; and 10-15% at meetings. Position requires employee to
lift up to 30 pounds and push/pull up to 10 pounds. Position has ability to sit/stand as needed.
During the current COVID-19 pandemic, this position has the ability to work remotely at all times.
- Solid Ground application
- Cover letter (not required for Driver positions)
Complete and submit a Solid Ground Application online, or download the Word version and send it by mail, email or fax to:
Human Resources at Solid Ground
1501 North 45th Street
Seattle, WA 98103-6708
SOLID GROUND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO WORKPLACE DIVERSITY. WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF GENDER, AGE, RACE, RELIGION, MARITAL STATUS, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR VETERAN STATUS.
ENTER JOB DESCRIPTION HERE
Job posted: 2021-03-25