External Relations Advisor
Business Unit DescriptionAARP is the nation’s largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people 50+ turn their goals and dreams into ‘Real Possibilities’ by changing the way America defines aging. Integrated Communications and Marketing is a multimedia, service-focused operation that leads in shaping the impression of AARP by providing communications planning, marketing, support and execution for AARP’s strategic business units.
Develops and implements innovative external relations strategies and campaigns in the consumer and/or advocacy spaces, while enhancing and protecting AARP’s brand. Supports AARP’s reputation, priorities, and internal clients by drafting and implementing plans, growing and developing strong media and influencer relationships, pitching stories and op-eds, handling events, tracking and mitigating potential reputational issues, and so on. Tracks/provides analysis of relevant news stories and issues and produces reports for leadership. Drafts/edits news releases, talking points, blog posts, story pitches, and other content.
- Develops external relations strategies and tactics.
- Tracks, analyzes, and mitigates potential reputational issues using best-in-class approaches and current platforms, tools, and analytics.
- Writes plans and secures internal buy-in and approvals.
- Writes/proofs/edits news releases, media advisories, talking points, blog posts, templates, and other content.
- Fields media requests from national, trade, specialty, and new media outlets and develops media relationships.
- Writes strong, effective pitches and pitch stories to a wide range of national, trade, specialty, and new media outlets. Demonstrates sound judgment.
- Tracks relevant news coverage and social media trends to ensure the AARP leadership and the team are aware of developing stories, potential threats, and issues.
- Works with AARP leadership and subject-matter-experts on interview preparation, briefings, and media requests. Supports executive positioning activities.
- Prepares performance and after-action reports using key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Supports internal clients.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree (e.g., in Journalism, Communications, or Political Science) or equivalent and 6+ years of job-related experience. Significant demonstrated experience in consumer public relations and/or public affairs is important.
- Demonstrated ability to work and thrive in a dynamic/fast-paced work environment. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, assignments, and deadlines is vital.
- Significant demonstrated experience pitching media outlets and engaging with partner organizations and influencers, including from the African American/Black, Asian American/Pacific Islander, and/or LGBTQ communities.
- Excellent writing and editing skills required. Demonstrated experience writing/editing news releases, talking points, blog posts, templates, and fact sheets.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), as well as Cision or other similar platforms is a must.
- Advanced user of Twitter, other platforms, and social media listening/analytics tools.
- Prior experience with one or more of AARP’s priority issue areas required.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with cross-functional teams.
Compensation and Benefits
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401(k); 100% company-funded pension plan; health, dental, and vision plans; life insurance paid time off to include company and individual holidays, vacation, sick, caregiving, and parental leave; performance-based and peer-based recognition; tuition reimbursement; among others. Visit careers.aarp.org/benefits for more information.
As a result of the COVID pandemic, all interviews will be held virtually and all non-essential employees will continue to work remotely until further notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job posted: 2021-07-11