External Relations Analyst
Business Unit Description
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into ‘Real Possibilities’ by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name.As a trusted source for news and information, AARP produces the world’s largest circulation magazine, AARP The Magazine andAARP.
Integrated Communications and Marketing (ICM) is a multimedia, service-focused communications and marketing operation that leads in shaping the impression of AARP by providing communications planning, marketing, support and execution for AARP’s strategic business units.
Supports AARP’s external relations work, reputation, organizational priorities, and internal clients by drafting plans, monitoring/analyzing reputational issues, developing media lists, pitching stories and op-eds, posting content, handling event logistics, engaging social media, and so on. Tracks/provides analysis of relevant news stories and trends across multiple issue areas, produce reports, and draft/edit news releases, talking points, blog posts, social media posts, story pitches, and other content. Supports an advocacy-, consumer-, and/or entertainment-focused team, as assigned.
- Writes/proofs/edits external relations plans, news releases, media advisories, talking points, blog posts, and other content in support of external relations efforts.
- Fields media requests and/or routes inquiries to appropriate external relations staff in a timely manner.
- Writes strong, effective pitches and pitch stories to a wide range of national, trade, specialty, and new media outlets. Demonstrates sound judgment.
- Tracks relevant news coverage and social media trends to ensure the AARP leadership and the external relations team are aware of developing stories.
- Works with AARP leadership and subject-matter-experts on interview preparation, briefings, and media requests. Supports executive positioning activities.
- Prepares regular analytics reports on core performance indicators, as well as reports on demand, as needed.
- Provides planning/logistical support for external calls and events, as needed.
- Supports internal clients.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree (e.g., in Journalism, Communications, or Political Science) or equivalent and 3+ years of job-related experience. Prior experience in consumer public relations and/or public affairs field is important.
- Demonstrated ability to work and thrive in a dynamic/fast-paced work environment. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, assignments, and deadlines is vital.
- Prior experience pitching media outlets and engaging with partner organizations and influencers.
- Demonstrated experience writing/editing plans, news releases, talking points, blog posts, templates, and fact sheets.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), as well as Cision or other similar platforms is a must.
- Prior experience with one or more of AARP’s priority issue areas required.
- Skilled user of Twitter, other platforms, and social media listening/analytics tools.
- Candidates being considered for this role must be willing to complete a writing assessment.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-29