External Relations Professional – Corporate Communications
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Are you passionate about and up-to-date on emerging and future trends in technology? Can you translate the complex into simple, clear, intuitive and compelling communication? Do you act with an urgency that says the work matters, because it does? If this sounds like you, please read on!
We are hiring a top-tiered Media Relations Professional to play a central role in addressing important communications priorities for one of the world’s most recognized and respected brands, with particular emphasis on managing sensitive issues and engaging financial media and influencers to tell the IBM story.
You are creative and strategic and have a “sleeves rolled up” attitude. You’ve worked across global teams to make best in class communications happen. You have been successful in this role becuase you possess strong writing chops, actively nurture mutually-beneficial relationships with external audiences, and exude real passion for storytelling – from concept through placement. We are looking for the kind of leader who inspires people to join their mission and empowers the team to dream big and win big.
- Manage direct engagement with media and third-party influencers to protect IBM’s reputation and successfully mitigate and manage potential issues or crises.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson with tier one global media outlets.
- Lead coordination across IBM business units and geographies, as well as outside agencies and advisors, to rapidly develop reactive communications strategies and long-term issue management plans.
- Help drive thought leadership programs for key IBM corporate executives and thought leaders on issues ranging from trust, responsibility and privacy to the societal impact of emerging technologies.
- Partner with IBM’s Chief Privacy Officer to advance thought leadership on topics and public policies related to data privacy and the ethical advancement of artificial intelligence.
- Increase depth and frequency of proactive engagement with key media, bloggers, and non-media influencers.
- Provide ongoing strategic communications counsel for internal partners and executive stakeholders.
- Regularly develop and deploy a range of engaging, IBM content to advance strategic company narratives from blog posts, op-eds, speeches and presentations to videos, infographics, social media assets and more.
- Support and lead IBM communications on high-profile merger and acquisition activity.
- As needed, contribute to the planning and execution of media and external communications activities tied to key moments on the company’s financial calendar, from quarterly earnings reports to shareholder meetings and investor briefings.
- Strengthen IBM relationships with select financial media to build broader understanding of IBM’s historic transformation into a leading cloud and AI company.
- Expand use of data-centric conversation tracking tools to standardize measurement and tracking of potential issues and provide real-time insight into the reach and impact of rapidly developing situations, including crises.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 7+ years of communications, public relations or public affairs experience
- 5+ years of media relations & social/digital communications experience
- Strong track record of engaging media and influencers to successfully manage potential reputation threats
- Deep understanding of media dynamics, and proven ability to work seamlessly with reporters in background/off the record situations
- Proven ability to develop and lead successful multi-faceted communications programs that reach across teams, functions and geographies
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5+ years of successful issues/reputation management experience
- Working knowledge of financial communications
- Self-motivated team player with an ability to develop strong professional relationships that are critical to long-term programmatic success
- Proven ability to drive progress independently while collaborating seamlessly with various internal and external stakeholders
- Prior experience managing external agency support teams and budgets
- Strong portfolio of relationships with high-profile media outlets
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, fluency in other languages is an advantage
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world’s most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-15