External Relations Professional, Government and Regulatory Affairs
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM’s Policy Communications team needs a new External RelationsProfessional to help advance the company’s advocacy and thought leadership onhigh-profile public policy issues.
We are looking for a sharp writer and editor, a naturalstoryteller who can tailor messages for different audiences and platforms, aconfident PR rep who can maintain strong media relationships, and a team playerwho can identify proactive and reactive opportunities to elevate IBM’s voice inrelevant policy conversations across a range of audiences and stakeholdergroups.
At IBM we engage in policy, not politics. We don’t rely on PACsor political donations to advance our priorities, instead we engage directlywith policymakers globally and always aim to come to the table with new andthoughtful ideas. As a member of the Policy Communications team you’llwork directly with our Government and Regulatory Affairs (GRA) team to bringvisibility to and advance IBM’s advocacy work on public policies thatmatter to the company and our stakeholders.
Your work will include:
- Partnering with IBM GRA team members to develop, deploy and measure impact of advocacy communications campaigns built around IBM policy priorities.
- Provide ongoing strategic counsel to shape and support IBM’s advocacy efforts.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with media covering policy, Congress, the White House, technology and the intersection of all four.
- Manage reactive communications around sensitive issues rooted in public policy.
- Develop new mechanisms for engaging policy audiences, think tanks and industry associations in major IBM milestones and thought leadership initiatives.
- Regularly develop and deploy a range of engaging, policy-focused IBM content including policy statements, blog posts, op-eds, videos, infographics, social media assets and more.
- Lead long-term policy and thought leadership communications campaigns, working closely with IBM policy, communications and business colleagues.
- Expand and curate relationships with non-media policy influencers.
- Expand use of data-centric conversation tracking tools to better guide, measure and refine IBM policy communications program.
- Lend support for the IBM Policy Lab, aunique initiative within IBM to spark conversations on critical public policypriorities that transcend the big tech headline of the day.
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 8+ years of experience in public relations, public affairs or corporate communications.
- A commitment to proactivity, a desire to do things differently and a “never quit” willingness to pursue new ideas and ways of working.
- Impeccable writing and verbal communication skills, and a proven ability to persuade through clear and efficient use of language.
- Strong record of media relations experience and successfully contributing to the coverage agenda of tier one news organizations.
- Strong project management skills and experience working cross-functionally with teams across an organization to prioritize and execute parallel projects.
- Ability to think fast, innovate on the fly, rally and lead diverse teams around a shared objective, and seamlessly drive progress on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines and priorities.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- Digital and paid experience preferred, including managing social media profiles and websites.
- Highly collaborative – must be willing to seek and share expertise.
- Team player – someone equally willing to ask for help, delegate assignments or roll up their sleeves to get the job done.
- Previous experience in public policy or political advocacy.
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world’s most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It’s time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
·12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
·World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM’s learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
·Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
·Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
·Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
·Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
·Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
·Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-26