Federal Advocacy & Public Policy Managing Director
The National School Boards Association (NSBA) is seeking an experienced individual to coordinate NSBA’s comprehensive legislative strategies and national advocacy programs. The individual will serve as second in command and principal senior advisor to the Chief Advocacy Officer (CAO), oversee direct lobbying, public policy activities, and department administration and operations as designated by or in the absence of the CAO. They will also represent NSBA’s and school boards’ interests on Capitol Hill and with the Administration and informs NSBA’s members about legislative issues and developments. Additionally, the position assists with association governance activities as needed and works with the CAO to develop broad strategies and polices.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic direction to the federal legislation and national advocacy programs.
- Develops legislative strategies and represents the interests of NSBA and local school boards on Capitol Hill and with the Administration.
- Work with the CAO to develop broad strategies and polices related to implementation of the NSBA Strategic Plan
- Provides management oversight for the legislative staff in building lobbying efforts before Congress and the Administration. This duty includes assigning issues, evaluating work, and mentoring performance.
- Conduct bill analyses, draft and edit legislative recommendations, develop formal comments to federal agencies on proposed policies and regulations, author letters to members of Congress and agency officials, create reports and other policy materials.
- Engage in public speaking, media relation activities, and coalition building on NSBA’s federal priorities at local, state, regional, and national levels
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum ten years of government affairs experience working on federal legislative issues and policy, at least five of which must be senior level experience managing staff and leading legislative work. Prior experience must include working directly for Congress such as a chief of staff, committee staff director, legislative director, legislative assistant, and/or alternatively in an executive branch federal government agency as a senior level manager. Education requirements include either a Juris Doctorate (JD), Master’s degree, or a Bachelor’s degree in combination with extensive career experience leading and managing people and projects in government affairs and policy. Additional requirements include understanding of organizational management, strategic planning & operations, and supervising professional level employees as part of a strong team. Must have exceptional judgment, the skills required to build effective work relationships, and the ability to work with a variety of internal and external partners. The position requires excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking and media relations.
Experience as a state government senior official focused on federal advocacy and policy and/or knowledge of state government issues and the impact of federal legislation on states, prior experience and/or understanding of associations or trade organizations, understanding of grassroots issues campaigns, and experience with advocacy and lobbying on education related issues.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should send resume, cover letter & salary requirements to: NSBA, Attn: HR/Managing Director, Federal Advocacy & Public Policy, 1680 Duke Street, 2FL, Alexandria, VA 22314-3493. Resumes may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2019-07-24