Federal Affairs Specialist DC
Bring YOUR energy to Alliant Energy!
If you enjoy challenges, have the drive to learn, and are passionate about the work you do we invite you to consider Alliant Energy!
What sets us apart?
- Excellent pay and benefits
- A commitment to career growth and development
- A culture that embraces our core values of live safety, do the right thing, care for others, make things better, act for tomorrow, and think beyond – be bold.
- The opportunity to make a positive impact on our local communities
Alliant Energy is seeking a Federal Affairs Specialist to join our team! You will begin working on a remote basis and eventually will report to our office in Washington D.C. In this position, you will support the work and efforts of the Director, Federal Affairs in Washington, D.C. You will manage the company’s political action committee, its grassroots program and provide general outreach and coordination to employees to develop and further Alliant Energy’s public affairs advocacy strategies. You’ll advocate before members of Congress, congressional staff, and executive branch officials to garner support for policies and legislation that align with Alliant Energy’s strategic business objectives. These objectives include federal energy policies impacting Alliant Energy’s electric and gas utilities in Iowa and Wisconsin, and its unregulated businesses.
Alliant Energy will not provide sponsorship for an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa) now or in the future for this position.
- Manages EPAN (Employee Political Affairs Network) efforts including day-to-day management of PAC and implements strategies to enhance employee giving and Public Affairs team reporting.
- Assist the Director of Federal Affairs by managing legislative and regulatory policy-related issues by developing and/or maintaining (i) briefing notes, (ii) lobbying materials such as position statements, (iii) updates for the public affairs team’s prioritized issues matrix, and (iv) relevant reports and communications materials for both internal and external audiences.
- Identifies federal policy proposals that may influence Alliant Energy’s operations, plans or its strategic and business objectives.
- Represents Alliant Energy at legislative and regulatory hearings, conferences, and social events.
- Develops network of reliable federal-level contacts and decision-influencers.
- Participates in various trade and industry association committees and working groups for various trade and industry associations to achieve favorable policy outcomes.
- Meets formally and informally with members of Congress, congressional staff, and other federal government officials to present Alliant Energy’s position concerning various federal public policy matters. Typical agency interactions include U.S. EPA, FERC, and DOE.
Preferred Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in Communications, Public Affairs or related area is preferred
- 4 years experience in federal government relations or as a Congressional staff member or Executive Branch staff is preferred
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Solid knowledge and understanding of federal legislative, regulatory, governmental and political processes and operations.
- Basic knowledge of electric utility issues/energy industry preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a wide variety of internal and external people, both in formal and informal circumstances, and where necessary to gain their agreement and acceptance.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer software programs (e.g., e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, and project management).
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment, including a small, collaborative office environment.
It’s not just what we do; it’s how we do it.
- Live safety. Everyone. Always – Our first priority is that nobody gets hurt.
- Do the right thing – We keep our promises and conduct our business openly and honestly.
- Care for others – Together we create a workplace where people feel like they belong and can use their unique backgrounds, talents and perspectives to their fullest potential.
- Make things better – We partner with our customers and communities to solve problems, create opportunities and help make life better.
- Act for tomorrow – We use resources wisely, care for the environment and continuously improve ourselves and our company.
- Think beyond. Be bold – We create and embrace change, innovate beyond current practices and use our curiosity to find new solutions.
*NOTE: All candidates selected for employment with Alliant Energy will be required to successfully complete a drug screen and background check.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
To apply for this challenging opportunity, please complete our online application at www.alliantenergy.com/careers.
Applications will be accepted until a qualified pool of candidates is received.
Job posted: 2020-12-24