Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Federal Government Affairs Counsel
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an organization’s most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we’re committed to growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers’ dreams in ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R28065 Federal Government Affairs Counsel (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
The Government Affairs Counsel develops and executes government affairs strategies and operational activities to influence public policy outcomes that align to corporate strategic goals and initiatives.
- Acts as the primary company liaison with members of Congress and federal agencies.
- Identifies, interprets, and evaluates legislative and regulatory proposals which may have a significant impact on the company. Develops, implements, and manages government affairs strategy necessary to advance or avoid this impact.
- Acts as American Family`s lobbyist at congressional hearings on proposed legislation and regulation. Prepares comments, attends trade hearings, works with other insurance company representatives, trade associations and sponsoring agencies to achieve acceptable language, and testifies as appropriate.
- Develops and communicates a thorough understanding of federal legislative and regulatory climate and strategies needed within these environments to achieve corporate strategic initiatives.
- Provides accurate, thorough and timely information about public policy developments to corporate business clients.
- Identifies and communicates the likely impacts of legislative and regulatory outcomes on future business activities/results.
- Identifies and provides relevant information regarding legislative and regulatory proposals which may require grassroots mobilization. Acts as the point of contact and manager for respective grassroots alerts.
- Advises the federal Political Action Committee (PAC). Promotes compliance with campaign finance laws.
- Provides legislative summaries to employees and agents on a regular basis. Compiles similar information, as needed, for publication within the company.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service.
- Demonstrated experience building working relationships with legislators and regulators.
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing legislative or regulatory strategies and initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience researching and analyzing complex legislative or regulatory issues and comprehending their application to insurer operations.
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
Additional Job Information:
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-14