Federal Government Affairs Director
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There’s something special about working at Astellas. It’s reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Federal Government Affairs Director position.
Purpose & Scope
The Director applies internally developed positions and policies to complex governmental, budgetary and regulatory issues in a context of mandatory public registration, disclosure and reporting. The Director communicates and negotiates on Astellas’ behalf with Members of Congress and other officials and policy thought leaders. He or she must lead in these negotiations and utilize experience and judgment to plan and complete projects as well as orient, brief, assign and check the work of other Astellas employees and consultants.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Manage relationships and policy discussions with Members of Congress, the Executive Branch, and policy-focused non-governmental organizations.
- Influence federal policy outcomes that affect Astellas’ corporate growth, profitability, and sustainability and act with substantial latitude for un-reviewed action or decision..
- Design and implement strategic plans to address threats and opportunities identified, healthcare trends, federal legislation and/or regulation impacting our business and review progress with senior management, as appropriate.
- Exercise a leadership role internally and externally in forming issue coalitions, designing and executing campaigns, and driving policy change within the federal government.
- Set forth a comprehensive strategy, project management scheme, and an overall approach to policy challenges affecting the business that is consistent with Astellas’ values and implement
- Strategic plans with therapeutic area focus. Represent Federal Government Affairs with designated contacts from research, medical and development, health systems and sales and marketing contacts among others.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the legislative and regulatory process affecting our business.
- Lead and participate in management briefings, cross-functional teams comprised of internal and external participants, depending upon each issue
- Represent company at meetings with, industry associations and as necessary with other stakeholders and professional associations
- As assigned, be responsible for managing the Astellas board member for trade associations. and lead external government affairs work groups, committees, and task forces on Astellas’ behalf or represent Astellas within those organizations as each case requires.
- Exercise leadership with policy focused non-governmental organization executives and staff to shape the policy environment for Astellas and incite the development of standing coalitions depending upon each issue.
- Effectively manage federal engagements by Astellas’ consultants assigned to projects and areas of responsibility to ensure seamless implementation of legislative, regulatory and political priorities. This includes planning, conducting and supervising consultants and lobbying firms.
- Develop and execute strategic plans for support to federal political candidates and structure, direct and execute a systematic outreach effort to build awareness and support for Astellas
- Collaborate with Corporate Affairs colleagues, as appropriate, to identify, manage and communicate potential issues and opportunities, which affect company reputation.
Responsible for managing 2 to 4 projects per issue area with projects ranging from $25,000 to $80,000 including vendor selection, oversight, and review of final work product for government legislative and regulatory activity nationally. This includes executive branch, legislative and agency action impacting our business. Project management with a team of lobbying experts to assist with specific strategy implementation.
Develop government affairs campaigns to support key business functions within AUS (including Commercial organization) to help advance business goals
This position reports to Vice President, Government Affairs and Policy. Strong collaborative relationship with. Policy Development and Management.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8-10 years relevant experience in health policy, legislative affairs, regulatory policy, health care consulting and/or pharmaceuticals.
- Expertise in political, legislative and regulatory environment at the federal level.
- Strong knowledge of bio-pharmaceutical industry and the drivers of impact to corporate and regulatory policy making across business functions.
- Demonstrated success in lobbying federal government.
- Ability to project manage multiple projects.
- Proven ability to think strategically and implement tactically.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to travel 35%
- Experience in pharmaceutical industry.
- Advanced or terminal degree within public health, public policy or related field
- Federal government experience in the executive, legislative or regulatory arena.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job posted: 2017-11-14