Federal Government Affairs Director
There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
About the Role:
The Director, Federal Affairs, will be responsible for policy development and advocacy before the U.S. Congress and other federal government agencies and will report to the Executive Director, Federal Affairs. In this role, he/she will be part of a dynamic team advocating for GM’s business interests, implementing key strategies, strengthening critical relationships with Members of Congress and their staff- as well as other key stakeholders – working aggressively and strategically on multiple issues of critical importance to GM. This position is crucial for creating and communicating an integrated government relations strategy to pave the way for GM’s business success and growth.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Drive strategy on critical issues and proactively identify opportunities and challenges to the company.
- Build and maintain key relationships with Members of Congress and staff to help grow the company’s outreach in specific constituencies and create new interest among others.
- Manage engagement with the Congressional Black Caucus.
- Have a solid understanding of Congressional procedures and hold strong relationships with key committee Members.
- Be a team player who can work well internally not only with peers and government relations colleagues but also with senior executives and be able to operate in a very fast paced environment.
- Must be enthusiastic and creative and have high energy and unquestionable work ethic.
Additional Job Description
- Background/expertise in financial services, sustainability, and diversity is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in public policy, communications or business, or equivalent experience
- 5-10 years of Government Relations/Capitol Hill/Public Policy/Lobbying experience
- Accomplished oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with significant attention to detail
- Ability to drive strategy on critical issues of importance to GM
- Ability to initiate and proactively identify opportunities to better position GM in Washington and with critical internal and external constituencies
- Ability to identify and mitigate challenges to the company
- Keen political acumen and sound political judgement
Please only apply if you DO NOT need sponsorship to work in the Unites States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-21