Federal Government Affairs Lead
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable – until now.
We don’t follow footsteps. We create the path.
The Federal Government Affairs Lead is accountable for building a strong Spark presence with federal policymakers, including Congress and executive branch agencies, as well as key external stakeholders. Reporting to the Head of Government Affairs, the Federal Government Affairs Lead will develop and execute government affairs strategies to advance Spark’s interests. The position will be responsible for monitoring, managing, and engaging on all relevant federal issues, with an emphasis on Democratic policymakers.
The Federal Government Affairs Lead will manage external consultants and federal retained counsels in specific federals, working with the Spark US Market Access team.
Corporate objectives will be achieved by delivering results through federal legislation, initiatives and health care financing to achieve corporate goals. Areas of responsibility include impacting federal legislation impacting development of and patient access to gene therapies.
An ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment is essential.
- Responsible for developing and executing government affairs strategies with Congress and, executive branch agencies, including HHS, CMS, and OMB.
- Establish and maintain engagement with influential third parties including trade associations, other external coalitions, advocacy groups, thought leaders, and political organizations.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with key Democratic policymakers at the federal level.
- In collaboration with the Head of Government Affairs Identify and effectively supervise team of external consultants to advance Spark policy priorities.
- Compliance with all Federal and Local laws and regulations around transparency, the Sunshine Act and lobbying registration.
- In collaboration with the Head of Government Affairs develop and execute a plan to grow Spark PAC.
- BS or BA required; MBA, MPH, JD or other advanced degree preferred.
- Generally has 12-15 years of relevant experience in government affairs, legislative, public health policy or advocacy with a proven track record of leadership across multi-disciplinary teams
- Firm understanding of federal policy issues,
- Candidate must be able to register as a lobbyist.
- Demonstrated ability to impact decision making within Congress and executive branch agencies.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues impacting the biotechnology industry, including Medicare, Medicaid, private health insurance, and the Public Health Service Act, among others.
- Strong understanding of pricing, reimbursement, drug review and approval process and other relevant regulatory issues
- Strong understanding of public and private payer initiatives impacting reimbursement of pharmaceutical and biotechnology products.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as a self-motivator as well as in a matrix organization.
- Requires strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills.
- High integrity
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple, high priority projects with a keen attention to detail
- Professional demeanor; team player; ability to interface productively with internal/external parties
- Meaningful prior exposure to pharmaceutical or biotech industry
- Hands-on; energetic and motivated self-starter
- Proficient in MS Office products
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-07