Federal Government Affairs Representative
This role reports to the Head of Federal Government Affairs in Washington, DC and is located in Washington, D.C.
This candidate will be responsible for representing Citi before the Congress and other federal government offices. The position involves: identifying priority issues; creating an advocacy strategy around identified issues, implementing the strategy including engaging with external stakeholders such as trade associations and outside consultants. The preferred candidate would have some experience working with the banking/financial services committees and knowledge of and relationships with Senate Offices and Committees. The candidate would be required to register as a lobbyist.
- Build and maintain relationship with key Congressional offices and policymakers
- Advocate on policy issues important to Citi
- Identify and communicate federal policy changes and its implications to senior management, business heads and global functions (including public affairs, legal, and compliance)
- Build internal consensus on policy changes that affect the bank
- Build internal support for the Citi Political Action Committee (PAC)
- Coordination with State & Local and International government relations teams on policy issues and advocacy as appropriate
- Be a value added resource to senior management and business leaders to provide political insight and guidance on political developments
- Participate in key trade associations’ working groups
- Schedule meetings and prepare talking points and briefing materials for senior business leaders
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 10 years of experience in government relations either from government or with a major corporation, trade association, or other organization that is devoted to government relations, preferably in financial services or at least some portion of that time working on financial services issues, knowledge of and experience working on sanctions issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collaboration and Influencing: The successful candidate needs to be a team player to demonstrate team collaboration and coordination within Citi and the ability to build relationships with key internal stakeholders. Candidate needs to be able to interact and communicate effectively and comfortably with Citi senior executives, senior business leaders, clients and high-level government officials. A self-starter who can think strategically to help address problems and advance business objectives, and who understands the relevance of government action on business decisions.
- Business Acumen and Results Orientation: The candidate needs to be self-motivated with the ability to manage a set of deadlines and deliverables with limited supervision. He/she should be able to demonstrate proven capacity to design and implement a government relations campaign, preferably involving financial institutions. The candidate should also have strong relations with government officials especially in the Senate. Should have ability to multi-task and to work in a constantly changing corporate environment.
This job description provides a high-level review of the types of work performed. Other job-related duties may be assigned as required.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-04