Federal Government Affairs Representative
Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Our core activities are safeguarding assets, lending money, making payments and accessing the capital markets on behalf of our clients.
Citi’s Mission and Value Proposition explains what we do and Citi Leadership Standards explain how we do it. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients’ and the public’s trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve. Our Leadership Standards is a common set of skills and expected behaviors that illustrate how our employees should work every day to be successful and strengthens our ability to execute against our strategic priorities.
Diversity is a key business imperative and a source of strength at Citi. We serve clients from every walk of life, every background and every origin. Our goal is to have our workforce reflect this same diversity at all levels. Citi has made it a priority to foster a culture where the best people want to work, where individuals are promoted based on merit, where we value and demand respect for others and where opportunities to develop are widely available to all.
This role reports to the Head of Federal Government Affairs and is located in Washington, D.C.
This candidate will be responsible for representing Citi before the Congress and other federal government offices. The position involves: identifying priority issues; creating an advocacy strategy around identified issues, implementing the strategy including engaging with external stakeholders such as trade associations and outside consultants. The preferred candidate would have some experience working with the banking/financial services committees and knowledge of and relationships with Senate Members and Committees. The candidate would be required to register as a lobbyist.
- Build and maintain relationship with key Congressional offices and policymakers
- Advocate on policy issues important to Citi
- Identify and communicate federal policy changes and its implications to senior management, business heads and global functions (including public affairs, legal, and compliance)
- Build internal consensus on policy changes that affect the bank
- Build internal support for the Citi Political Action Committee (PAC)
- Coordination with State & Local and International government relations teams on policy issues and advocacy as appropriate
- Be a value added resource to senior management and business leaders to provide political insight and guidance on political developments
- Participate in key trade associations’ working groups
- Schedule meetings and prepare talking points and briefing materials for senior business leaders
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 10 years of experience in government relations either from government or with a major corporation, trade association, or other organization that is devoted to government relations, preferably in financial services or at least some portion of that time working on financial services issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collaboration and Influencing: The successful candidate needs to be a team player to demonstrate team collaboration and coordination within Citi and the ability to build relationships with key internal stakeholders. Candidate needs to be able to interact and communicate effectively and comfortably with Citi senior executives, senior business leaders, clients and high-level government officials. A self-starter who can think strategically to help address problems and advance business objectives, and who understands the relevance of government action on business decisions.
- Business Acumen and Results Orientation: The candidate needs to be self-motivated with the ability to manage a set of deadlines and deliverables with limited supervision. He/she should be able to demonstrate proven capacity to design and implement a government relations campaign, preferably involving financial institutions. The candidate should also have strong relations with government officials especially in the Senate. Should have ability to multi-task and to work in a constantly changing corporate environment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-11