Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Federal Government Relations Director
National Grid is hiring a Federal Government Relations Director. This position is located in Washington D.C.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
To deliver high quality learning experiences that meet clients’ technical, regulatory and safety learning needs through a blended learning approach and support the design and development of learning solutions.
A National Grid Government Relations Director advocates on behalf of National Grid on a variety of issues related to energy, climate, infrastructure, and transportation, and builds and maintains relationships and trust with government officials as well as a wide variety of other relevant third-party stakeholders in a manner that positively reflects business priorities and the best interests of our customers.
• Serve as the company’s primary contact for the Massachusetts federal delegation
• Manage and work closely with long-standing external consultant
• Actively work on and advocate for company’s position on a wide portfolio of issues including climate, environment, appropriations, sustainability, electric infrastructure and transportation, broadband and supply chain issues.
• Work with the Washington office registered lobbyists to help advocate for various company positions.
• Track, monitor, and identify impactful legislation, rulemakings, regulations, and other government notices. Such actions include analyzing and working with company subject matter experts on government proposals.
• Coordinate events with internal and external partners – engaging with elected officials and others at such events as appropriate.
• Provide awareness to government officials of company programs and initiatives that support customers and communities served by National Grid.
• Promote and enhance the company’s reputation and build partnerships with industry and business organizations, lobby groups, environmental groups and other stakeholders in order to promote National Grid’s reputation and interests.
• Government relations expertise with Congress and federal agencies. Experience of working in federal government is preferred but not required.
• Must be able to register as a company lobbyist and ensure personal compliance with all company ethic requirements as well as state and local laws and regulations.
• Proven ability to represent company at legislative meetings, distinguishing and promoting company positions in contrast with competing interests – utilizing coalitions and third parties as appropriate.
• Be proactive, inquisitive and organized.
• Actively able to build and maintain a network of internal relationships with various company subject matter experts as well as external stakeholders.
• Be a strategic thinker with a holistic and forward-looking mindset to see internal and external situations and trends, company actions and policy proposals and provide guidance on how they will impact the company’s reputation and business opportunities.
• Communicate effectively at a high level with strong written and verbal skills.
• Ability to handle multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development, under time constraints.
$164K – $232K
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-24