Federal Legislative Advisor
We are committed to provide our Employees a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of Southwest Airlines. Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
|The Advisor is an integral member of the Governmental Affairs (“GA”) Department and is located in Southwest’s Washington, DC office. The Advisor’s principle duties are to advocate Southwest’s interests before Congress and executive branch agencies of the federal government, , as well as provide substantive and project-specific support to the GA Department and the Company as a whole. The Advisor is involved in strategy development and project execution specific to Federal agencies. This person leads strategy implementation and is the primary point of contact for political relationship management in their defined region.
• Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description.
|Required||High School Diploma or GED|
|Required||Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience||
|Required/Preferred||Years of Experience||Description|
|Required||5 Years||combined experience working in legislative or regulatory affairs, a policymaking position in Congress or a transportation-related federal agency, a government relations professional for another company, firm or trade association, and/or relevant work experience
• Have a solid understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes of the federal government
• Have a strong interest in the various federal legislative and regulatory issues facing the Company and airline industry
• Have a thorough understanding of (or the capacity and interest to learn about) the Company’s commercial goals and strategies
• Have a strong desire to help develop and implement government-related programs and tactics to effectuate those commercial goals and strategies
• Be a self-starter, a multi-tasker, and problem-solver, who has superb interpersonal, verbal/written communications, and Internet research skills
• Have the ability to work individually and participate with internal and external teams to enhance Southwest’s standing among governmental leaders, legislative and regulatory bodies, and the communities served by Southwest. Must be willing to travel when required (e.g., to support the Company’s goals and strategies).
• Must possess strong PC skills with knowledge of word processing application. Ability to use a computer keyboard with sufficient speed to meet demands of job.
• Must have good people skills and be able to work effectively with all levels of SWA Employees.
• Ability to work well with others as part of a team.
• Proven ability to perform under pressure. Must have judgment sufficient to handle and resolve issues related to sensitive and confidential matters.
• Must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Must have excellent organizational skills and be able to perform efficiently and effectively on multiple projects under tight deadlines.
• Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines.
• Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-06-18