Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Federal Liaison to Government Affairs
Hunting is an ancient tradition passed down from the earliest times of man to the present day. Hunters participate directly in the natural world and care enough to make sure that it continues in all of its awesome beauty and diversity.
Safari Club International is a U.S.-based organization of more than 50,000 hunters and nearly 200 chapters worldwide, dedicated to protecting the right to hunt and to promote wildlife conservation. Between SCI and its sister organization, the SCI Foundation, we have put more than $70 Million on the ground for conservation since 2000. In the U.S. and abroad, hunters are part of a system that keeps the rivers, forests and fields intact and maintains the wildlife.
This position serves as a key lobbyist for Safari Club International (SCI) with the U.S. Congress and Administration covering all issues of importance to SCI. Collaborate extensively with the Director of Government Affairs, advocacy staff and Government Affairs Committee volunteers on legislative activities and priorities related to SCI and its members. Responsibilities also include advancement of SCI’s relationships with external stakeholders (both governmental and non-governmental) that influence public policy, provide counsel about possible courses of action, and identify key external engagement opportunities on policy. Provide direction and federal perspective for SCI’s political programs (PAC, SuperPAC and grassroots) and collaborate with other SCI departments in furtherance of SCI’s mission to be first for hunters. The liaison will be required to register as a federal lobbyist.
All applicants should demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, hunting as an essential part of biologically sound and ethically responsible international wildlife management.
- Work to advance SCI’s policy agenda through extensive contact with the U.S. Congress and the Administration.
- Enhance the effectiveness of SCI’s pro-hunting agenda lobbying efforts by maintaining high visibility on Capitol Hill, developing and maintaining relationships, and gathering information and legislative intelligence.
- Assist with developing lobbying strategy and represent the SCI’s position before members of Congress and their staffs.
- Participate in SCI-led or supported coalitions and provide strategic input to help improve their efforts.
- Maintain knowledge of SCI priorities and legislative issues in order to provide accurate and timely information and assistance to member companies and other staff.
- Engage SCI membership and be responsive to their requests and professional in all interactions.
- Assist with member company recruitment and retention.
- Ability to handle pressure in a deadline driven environment.
- Seven to 10 years of professional experience working on Capitol Hill or in a federal government relations capacity;
- Thorough understanding of the legislative process and congressional procedures, as well as existing relationships on Capitol Hill;
- Must demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, hunting as an essential part of biologically sound and ethically responsible international wildlife management.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written, with strong persuasive and intellectual ability;
- Ability to plan, think independently and adapt to the needs of a fast-paced professional environment;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and independently follow through on assignments;
- Ability to handle pressure in a goal and deadline driven environment;
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from a college or university, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-08