Federal Policy Analyst/Senior Federal Policy Analyst
The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP) is a non-profit research organization that analyzes tax laws and tax proposals. ITEP’s work demonstrates the need to raise more revenue from corporations and wealthy individuals. Our small influential staff works with policymakers and front-line partners to research, support, and develop tax policies that address inequality. Our unique microsimulation model builds understanding of who pays taxes across income, race and geography at the state and federal levels. Our research on corporate taxes helps steer the debate about tax justice. Stronger taxes on the rich and corporations will enable public investment, enhance economic and racial equity, and improve lives.
We seek a Federal Policy Analyst or Senior Federal Policy Analyst to analyze tax policies affecting individuals and corporations. Position, based in Washington D.C., reports to our Federal Policy Director.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Using ITEP’s microsimulation model to analyze policies and proposals related to the federal personal income tax and, on occasion, federal payroll taxes.
- Researching and writing about federal tax issues including those relating to high-income individuals, investment and business income, and tax breaks that favor the well-off.
- Researching and writing about corporations avoiding taxes through existing loopholes, special breaks and offshore profit-shifting.
- Following and participating in the federal tax policy conversation.
- A commitment to ITEP’s mission of creating a tax code that raises more from corporations and wealthy individuals and that addresses inequity
- Experience working on tax policy, tax law, or tax accounting
- Comfort with large and complex spreadsheets
- Ability to write clearly about complex topics
- Federal Policy Analyst: At least three years of work experience or one year of experience plus advanced degree
- Senior Federal Policy Analyst: At least six years of work experience or four years of experience plus advanced degree
- Federal Policy Analyst: Salary range: $63,000 to $76,000, based on experience.
- Senior Federal Policy Analyst: Range: $76,000 to $89,000, based on experience.
Excellent benefits include:
- 100 percent health and dental coverage for staff and family.
- 403 (B) retirement plan to which ITEP contributes 10% of salary.
- All federal holidays plus Election Day, Juneteenth and the period from Christmas to Jan 2.
- Employees may take paid leave at their discretion, with advance notice and approval.
- ITEP provides 12 weeks of paid parental leave. After five years of consecutive employment at ITEP, staff are eligible for a 6-week paid sabbatical.
To apply: Send a single PDF file containing one-page cover letter, resume, and maximum 1500-word writing sample to careers @ itep.org. We will begin screening applications on June 7. Subject line should be Federal Policy Analyst or Senior Federal Policy Analyst. We will accept applications until position is filled and we will inform all applicants when filled. No additional calls or emails.
The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and welcome diversity in the workplace. We strongly encourage all applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status.
Job posted: 2021-06-01