Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Federal Policy Associate
West Harlem for Environmental Action a/k/a WE ACT for Environmental Justice is a Northern Manhattan community-based organization building healthy neighborhoods by ensuring people of color and / or low-wealth, participate meaningfully in the creation of sound and fair health and environmental protections, policies and practices. In the summer of 2012, WE ACT opened a Washington D.C. office to focus on national strategy and expand our federal environmental policy efforts.
We are seeking a Federal Policy Associate to support the Senior Director of Strategy & Federal Policy in the Washington D.C. office, and bring both administrative management and policy ‘wonk’ enthusiasm to the opportunity as outlined below:
- Serve as administrative support & direct report to our Senior Director of Strategy & Federal Policy, being able to supremely prioritize and adapt within a moment’s notice.
- Handle calendaring and travel arrangements for the Senior Director, and be able to travel yourself via a valid U.S. passport and driver’s license.
- Under supervision from the Senior Director of Finance & Operations complete and maintain expense and lobbying disclosure reports on behalf of the D.C. office.
- Provide logistical support for briefings, forums and other events organized by the Washington, D.C. office or the EJLFCC (Environmental Justice Leadership Forum).
- Schedule monthly calls and other conference meetings for the general membership of the EJ Leadership Forum and its steering committee.
- In collaboration w/DC Communications Team, support any messaging, social media and Communications efforts of the Senior Director as directed.
- When needed, coordinate mail and delivery services, and welcome guests, vendors and building personnel.
- Work to support policy development, federal advocacy and organizing efforts in the field.
- Conduct research on policy and advocacy issues, and help in the development of white papers and policy briefs.
- Develop and maintain a CRM system relevant to our interactions with Members of Congress, political & social campaigns, and local partners.
- Schedule meetings with Members of Congress and prepare supporting documents for these visits that maintain the highest level of due diligence and work product readiness.
- Track and monitor targeted environmental appropriations and legislative authorizations, and be able to collect, synthesize, and substantiate your findings.
- Assist in development of the office newsletter and coalition reports from our EJ Forum.
- Attend coalition meetings and congressional hearings when needed, and be able to author legible, clear summaries and synopsis of all hearings and meetings writ-large.
- Assist with outreach and coordination of EJ partners in the Environmental Justice Leadership Forum (EJL) with meetings, assessments and garnering partner support.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate for the position will have the following qualifications and experience, all required:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Political Science, Law, Environmental Science, City or Regional Planning, Communications, or other related fields; OR,
- On-the-job experience of at least 2-4 years w/a mixture legislative, organizing, or environmental policy work that engaged communities of color;
- Wonkishly nerdy about policy and research, and able to adapt it for all stakeholders;
- Strong interpersonal skills that are enlivened to brainstorm and collaborate;
- Demonstrated advocacy and passion for justice – rooted in an understanding of the historical precedent of environmental racism;
- Proficiency with Google Suites, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe, web & app based services, and Congressional and environmental tracking tools;
- Related Capitol Hill or local, state, government, nonprofit, community organizing, and / or campaign and political organizing expertise; and,
- Excellent judgment, maturity, and integrity with an impeccable but relaxed work ethic!
This position reports to the Senior Director of Strategy & Federal Policy in our Washington, D.C. office.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary – $55,000- $60,000
WE ACT offers superior medical, dental, vision, and voluntary benefits like disability and life insurances. We have generous vacation, paid time off, sick and wellness policies, with retirement, 403b, FSA / HSA accounts, along with onsite HR support for your benefit needs. WE ACT follows a 3-2 hybrid work policy requiring 3 days in the office a week. All staff are required to be fully vaccinated. We provide competitive nonprofit living wages, and WE ACT is committed to justice in salary transparency and wage equity.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants should send their resume as a WORD or PDF document to David.Hudson@weact.org. Please put in the subject line “ WE ACT Federal Policy Associate Opportunity”.
Position will be open until filled.
WE ACT is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages candidates that are people of color, women, person’s w/disabilities, military personnel, seniors, and gender & orientation positive, to apply. Thank you.
Job posted: 2022-07-31