Federal Policy and Communications Coordinator
TechNet is the national, bipartisan network of technology CEOs and senior executives that promotes the growth of the innovation economy.
TechNet’s diverse membership includes dynamic startups and the most iconic companies on the planet and represents over three million employees and countless customers in the fields of information technology, e-commerce, the sharing and gig economies, advanced energy, cybersecurity, venture capital, and finance. TechNet has offices in Washington, D.C., Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Sacramento, Chicago, Austin, Boston, Olympia, Albany, and Tallahassee.
The Federal Policy and Communications Coordinator will play a key role in the execution of TechNet’s comprehensive federal advocacy, communications, digital marketing, and communications strategies. The ideal candidate works well both independently and as part of a team and has proven communication, research, writing, and editing skills, keen political and legislative acumen, knowledge of key technology policy issues, an eye for detail, a self-starting mentality, and an ability to meet tight deadlines. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Operations and Strategic Initiatives, the Coordinator will work cross-functionally with the Communications, Federal Policy, and executive leadership team. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to grow their advocacy, lobbying, and policy career in the technology industry with a leading trade association on the front lines of many key issues facing our country.
• Support TechNet’s federal program by facilitating engagement with Capitol Hill and the Administration through email, written briefings, meetings, phone calls, and events
• Alongside the SVP, drive and support a core set of issues before the technology sector including privacy, fintech, cybersecurity, trade, tax, 5G, AI, and climate change, among others
• Monitor priority federal legislation through online reference material and established Washington, DC relationships and keep the team and membership apprised of key developments impacting the innovation economy
• Build strong connections with TechNet members by providing timely, professional, and accurate policy support on assigned projects
• Participate in planning and development of — and in some cases serve as project manager for — events, meetings, coalitions, and membership engagement opportunities alongside SVP and federal team
• Support the drafting and distribution of policy letters, op-eds, press releases, and other written materials on TechNet’s federal policy priorities for TechNet members, federal policymakers, and members of the media
• Develop briefing memos for meetings with reporters and policymakers
• Contribute to TechNet’s external affairs and communications program by creating daily social media content, coordinating social media campaigns around legislative priorities and major events, and updating the website on a regular basis
• Author our weekly Tech at Work newsletter promoting the great work TechNet member companies do every day to create jobs and opportunity
• Monitor member companies’ business and philanthropic activities and promote them through TechNet platforms as appropriate
• Minimum of 3 years of experience on Capitol Hill or in a Government Relations role
• Experience working on technology sector issues
• Understanding of Capitol Hill and the legislative process
• Proven writer and communicator with an editor’s eye
• Proficiency with ExactTarget or other marketing software
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or similar graphic design software
• Experience with Quorum, Leadership Directories, or similar programs
• Experience with website development programs
• HTML and CSS
Interested candidates should email their resumes and 2-3 writing samples to email@example.com.
Job posted: 2020-12-18