Federal Public Affairs Manager, Aviation
Do you want to make a difference by shaping future legislation in America?
We are building a federal advocacy team and are looking for a Federal Public Affairs Manager, Aviation to join us and develop our federal aviation policy advocacy program in Washington, D.C.
Your part in the Neste journey
It is a great time to join us! Neste creates solutions for combating climate change and accelerating a shift to a circular economy. We are the world’s leading producer of renewable diesel and sustainable aviation fuel and are developing chemical recycling to combat the plastic waste challenge. Neste is also continuing its growth and diversification in the Americas region.
In your role, you will
- Develop and lead Neste’s U.S. federal advocacy priorities related to aviation, renewable and sustainable aviation fuels, and aviation feedstock policies in alignment with the V.P., North America Renewable Products, Aviation; Neste’s global Head of Renewable Aviation Regulation; and the Head of Public Affairs, Americas.
- Be an indispensable member of the P.A. Americas team.
- Represent Neste to members of Congress and staff, White House officials and staff, trade associations, and NGOs.
- Identify, build and lead effective coalitions, working groups, or partnerships on behalf of Neste.
- Identify and manage strategic partnerships with contract lobbyists, think tanks, or other consultants. Demonstrate ROI.
- Collaborate on issue advocacy campaigns with P.A. and Sustainability and Corporate Affairs (SCA) teams and external partners.
- Track, communicate, and document legislative proposals and requirements to internal stakeholders.
- Assist P.A. federal and state regulatory managers as needed.
- Develop advocacy tools with the P.A. and SCA teams. Tools may include fact sheets, policy memos or white papers, infographics, talking points, presentations, and social media posts.
You will work closely with Neste’s Public Affairs team for the Americas to support business units through intelligence gathering and advocacy. You will participate in identifying goals, setting strategy and providing insights for Neste decision-making at strategic and tactical levels.
Our work combines accountability, cooperation, and the desire to develop and renew. Working safely at all times is essential to all of us.
Keys to success in this role
The ideal candidate will possess the combination of experience, skills and knowledge:
- Minimum seven years of progressively responsible experience working in the U.S. Congress, the Executive branch (including federal agencies) in a legislative capacity.
- Understanding of House and Senate processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated effective leadership working with internal and/or external stakeholders, coalitions, or partnerships.
- Knowledge of federal and international aviation, climate, environmental, and energy policy.
- Experience working with external lobbyists. Trade association experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to work independently, flexibly, and cooperatively with minimal supervision. Fluency in English.
- Proficiency using legislative tracking software, spreadsheets, and databases. Experience using these tools for reporting and efficiently managing feedback from internal stakeholders.
- A commitment to building a healthier planet for our children.
- A Bachelor’s degree; Graduate degree preferred.
We believe in people who find new ways of doing things – people for whom safety and sustainability are part of their professional skills. Customer mindset is essential to all of us at Neste and we work hard to find the best solutions for our customers. We believe everyone is a leader and share a natural desire for collaboration. If all this, as well as our values we care, we have courage and we cooperate resonate with you, you are the talent we are looking for.
Come and do meaningful work in a community that has its eyes set forward!
The position is full-time, based in Washington, D.C. or an approved location in the territory and ability to work remotely. Reports to the Head of Public Affairs, Americas based in Houston, Texas. The position is expected to work irregular hours when Congress is in session, as well as spend up to 25% of their time on travel, including international, as COVID-19 guidelines permit.
The recruitment process includes interviews and aptitude testing.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification “Form I-9” upon hire. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
We believe that it is the task of each generation to leave its children a healthier planet. To succeed in this we create responsible choices, everyday – choices that enable people to live a more sustainable life and consume fewer natural resources.
There are roughly 5500 Neste Employees in Europe, Asia and North America. We are the world’s largest producer of renewable diesel refined from waste and residues, and we are also bringing renewable solutions to the aviation and plastics industries. We are looking for the best professionals in their respective fields – people who have the will to make the world a cleaner place to live
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-25