Fellowship-Office of External Affairs
The Fellowship Program is open to recent graduates with a Master’s Degree. Designed to equip participants with the
necessary skills, knowledge and contacts to launch thriving leadership careers in government, Fellows will be
assigned to work on complex, high-level projects for a period of one to two years. We will provide you with a realistic
exposure to the public sector environment, access to coaching and mentoring from high-level agency executives.
We are offering a fellowship opportunity with full benefits in the Office of External Affairs, within the Office of
Government Relations Division.
Commitment to Mentoring the Fellow:
To provide maximum benefit to the Fellow and the Santa Clara Valley Water District (now known as Valley Water), as
well as to provide a broad array of realistic government experience, the District will provide:
• Professional Development Opportunities; e.g. on-site training, ICMA annual conference (time permitting and
based on assessment of need and availability of funding).
• Mentorship/one-to-one coaching with the Chief Financial Officer/Deputy Operating Officer.
Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, business
administration, or a related field (such as communications, marketing).
The Office of Government Relations (OGR) Fellowship will provide significant exposure to and the opportunity to
analyze and engage on Valley Water’s legislative and policy priorities at the federal, state, and local level, as well as
OGR’s critical engagement and advocacy programs through sponsorships and community events. The Fellow will
have the opportunity to provide professional analytical and advocacy support to advance these priorities with elected
and appointed officials and key advocacy stakeholders during the duration of the Fellowship, by serving as the Valley
Water representative and advocate during external meetings with both elected officials and key advocacy
stakeholders. The Fellow will gain experience in processing community sponsorship applications and supporting the
Board’s high profile and highly valued community events program that includes staffing community festivals with
Valley Water booths and the Valley Water water truck. The Fellow will also have the opportunity to prepare speaking
points, presentations, white papers, and other advocacy materials for presentation to and advocacy before external
policy and decision makers. In addition to a routine work schedule, the Fellow position involves some night and
weekend work. Specifically, the Fellow will participate in government relations, outreach and community engagement
events/activities, which will include commitments during some evenings and weekends.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Conducting some policy analysis and drafting recommendations for positions on legislation at the federal,
state, and local levels.
• Serving as the Valle Water representative and advocating for Valley Water efforts with elected officials and
key Advocacy Stakeholder Groups.
• Serving as the Office of Government Relations representative on internal initiatives and projects with other
Valley Water cross functional teams.
• Coordinating and supporting State and Local elected official briefings.
• Performing community partnerships sponsorship analysis and recommendations.
• Assisting with the high-profile community event program, including deploying the Water Truck to events.
• Coordinating and facilitating strategic tours.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and
education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be
assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
Ideal Candidate’s Background includes:
Experience in advocating for public policy issues, performing policy and legislative analysis, serving municipalities or
organizations at the local, state, or regional level (desirable but not required).
• Knowledge and understanding of drafting public policy, analyzing impacts of policy on existing regulations or
operations, and event planning.
• Understanding of public sector processes and governance.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Strong writing skills, able to prepare high quality and articulate written report and presentations.
• Strong computer skills: MS Office – Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.
• Ability to learn quickly, work independently and responsibly.
Ideal Training and Education:
MBA or MPA with major in Public Policy, Political Science, Law, Communications, Environmental Studies,
Communications, Government or Public Affairs, or Government or Public Relations.
The Fellowship Program is open to recent Master’s graduates that meet the following requirements:
• Fluent in both written and spoken English.
• Have an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• Can provide proof of legal right to work in the United States.
• Can pass a pre-employment screening process to include reference checks and a background/criminal
• Able to work full-time (40 hours/week) for one year.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver’s license is required. Individuals who do not
meet the driver’s license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation
on a case-by-case basis.
Include ALL of the following with the online application:
• Completed online Employment Application (required) – Note: In the work experience section of the online
application, school projects, volunteer and extracurricular activities may be included in lieu of work
• Resume (required).
• Attach .pdf format of unofficial transcript(s) from all institutions attended to the online
application (required and must be attached as a separate document).
• Completed supplemental questionnaire (required) – Do not indicate “see resume” as this response to any of
the questions will disqualify you.
Participants in the Fellowship Program must adhere to all Valley Water policies at all times
For detailed information regarding requirements and qualifications for this
opening and to apply online, please see the job posting by clicking on the
following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/scvwd
Please visit our website: www.valleywater.org
Job posted: 2019-08-09