At Planned Parenthood North Central States (PPNCS), we believe all people deserve the right, the
freedom and the opportunity to follow their personal ambitions and choose their own path toward a
healthier, more meaningful life. That’s why we protect, promote and provide comprehensive and
progressive sexual and reproductive health care for generations of young people and families with
empathy, care and respect. We are looking for passionate, dedicated staff who are eager to make
positive contributions to their community and to the Planned Parenthood mission.
This person with work with the Manager of Public Affairs and the advocacy team to expand a strong
advocacy and organizing program for Planned Parenthood and ancillary advocacy/political organizations.
Provide leadership to the advocacy strategists with the focus of building skills and capacity in order to
mobilize support on key issues in the state. Also, expand the ability of the Public Affairs department to
serve the various departments, health centers, and patients of Planned Parenthood.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide direct supervision to the advocacy strategists in the specific state, assist with personnel
hiring, management and training issues.
• Manage an advocacy team that meets or exceeds metric standards set for work in all regions
and key constituencies.
• Work with the Manager of Public Affairs to create and implement plans for grassroots lobbying
and organizing activities such as lobby days and long-term issue advocacy field planning.
• Lead the advocacy team in developing, coordinating and directing activities for identifying,
educating, motivating and activating allied organizations and constituencies such as the Patient
Advocacy Program, Speakers Bureau, and PP Generation Action program.
• Work with the Manager of Public Affairs to develop organizing, legislative and electoral
initiatives that support the organizations.
• Assist with grassroots organizing activities as needed.
• Attend, participate, and sometimes lead meetings with stakeholders, partners, and Planned
Parenthood advocacy staff.
• Develop and execute a data management plan that includes systems and best practices that
ensure data validity.
• Represent the organizations at events, internal and external task forces, coalitions, workgroups
and committees as appropriate.
• Work cooperatively with the Manager of Public Affairs to implement and expand the image and
brand of Planned Parenthood.
• Operate at the highest ethical level, including compliance with applicable laws, regulations and
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field or 6 years of progressive related experience in lieu of degree
• Minimum of two years experience in public policy, grassroots advocacy or political campaigns
• Must have 1-2 years of management experience
• Previous Field Manager experience desirable
• Professional or volunteer experience in reproductive justice/women’s rights preferred
• Background check required for employment
This position is a full-time salaried position working primarily days Monday through Friday with some
weekends and evenings.
Any job offer will be contingent upon the results of a background investigation.
Planned Parenthood North Central States supports people of all ages in making responsible choices and
planning their futures. We are an organization committed to creating and fostering an environment
that leads to engaged employees, and we believe engaged employees results in satisfied customers and
exceptional experiences. When you work for Planned Parenthood you make a difference in the lives of
those we serve by affirming the human right to reproductive health and freedom.
Planned Parenthood is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce
that effectively employs the skills and talents of all employees in our organization. All applicants will
receive consideration regardless of their race, color, creed, sex, gender identity or gender expression,
national origin, age, veteran status, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, size, disability,
socioeconomic status or status with regard to public assistance. We encourage diverse candidates to
apply for this position. AA/EEO
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to Click here: PPNCS Jobs Site or
mail to Planned Parenthood North Central States, Recruiting, PO Box 4557, Des Moines, IA 50305
Job posted: 2019-04-11