Florida State Policy Advocate
The Latina Institute seeks a Florida State Policy Advocate to lead the Florida state policy agenda in coordination with a dynamic team to protect the reproductive health and rights of Latinas and support the development and execution of our advocacy and organizing strategies locally and state-wide. The FL State Policy Advocate, in coordination with the FL state team, prioritizes the needs of the community by identifying and/or creating community-informed policy solutions. As such, this person must be able to analyze state public programs, proposed state legislation and current law as it relates to the community in order to promote the Latina Institute’s policy and advocacy work in the areas including coverage and access to reproductive healthcare, including abortion, and immigrant health care access and coverage. This person, in thought partnership with the Florida State Manager, must be able to leverage their policy expertise to navigate state and local political systems and environments to develop campaigns that build Latinx/Latina power. In this position, the Policy Advocate will serve as the FL representative for policy coalitions and must be able to build support for Latina Institute policy priorities. In this role, one may be tapped as an English and Spanish-language spokesperson for media. The FL State Policy Advocate will be supervised and report to the Florida State Manager. The person in this position will work as part of a dynamic team and in coalition with movement partners.
Position Location: Work out of our Miami Dade County office and in Tallahassee during the state legislative session
COMMUNITY INFORMED POLICY DEVELOPMENT & IMPLEMENTATION
- Under the guidance of the FL State Manager, the State Policy Advocate advances Latina Institute’s Reproductive Justice priorities by both developing and moving forward pro-active policy solutions and campaigns that are community-informed and centered on the education, experiences, and vision of our activists.
- Conduct legislative analysis of state and local policies within the scope of Latina Institute’s Reproductive Justice priorities in coordination with the FL state team.
- Research and prepare local and state policy briefs, fact sheets, public education campaign materials and all other policy related and political publications with FL state team and national education team, where relevant.
- Serve as a liaison between federal policy team and FL state team for federal policies and actions that impact Florida, and coordinate with the state team to ensure materials produced and campaigns that are developed have an explicit state perspective.
NAVIGATION OF POLITICAL ARENA
- Track and understand key community-informed state and local legislative, legal, regulatory, judicial and ballot initiatives and trends that are aligned with Latina Institute Reproductive Justice priorities.
- Collaborate with the Florida state team to design, implement goals and support local and state advocacy and organizing campaigns based on our community-informed priorities.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships, coordinate meetings and uplift Latina Institute Reproductive Justice priorities with FL state, local and federal (when in-district) elected officials, policy makers, and staffers, as well as community partners and organizational allies.
- Under the guidance of the FL State Manager, the State Policy Advocate represents the interests of the Latina Institute FL in coordinating efforts with civic engagement and movement coalitions locally and statewide, including but not limited to uplifting the priorities and voices of Latinx/as through various mobilization efforts in Miami-Dade County and Tallahassee as well as showing up in solidarity with and supporting Black women led strategies and campaigns.
- Under the direction of the FL State Manager and in consultation with National Education team, conduct political education trainings, presentations, and updates for our FL activist base, relating to local, state and federal policies and briefings on Latina Institute policy priorities, as well as within the federal policy team, and for national, state and local conferences and events.
- Be an authority on Reproductive Justice and Latina Institute Reproductive Justice priorities in local and state coalition policy spaces and embody intersectional advocacy in the larger reproductive rights/health/justice policy ecosystem.
- Conduct media interviews on behalf of the Latina Institute.
- In coordination with the FL State Manager, develop internal work plans, track progress towards goals, and report activities and outcomes with key members of the Latina Institute organization-wide team.
- Track and record all lobbying efforts in a timely manner.
- Track and reconcile expenses related to all policy activities and travel within the overall state budget.
- Oversee compliance of deadlines, requirements and payments as a registered lobbyist and other necessary certifications or affiliations in the state of FL.
- Support with grant reporting and development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Have a strong understanding of the political structure of the state; knowledge of Florida landscape is required;
- Excellent analytic and advocacy skills;
- At least two years of experience in research, report production, or policy formulation at the state level;
- Demonstrated ability to use an intersectionality framework to advance policy solutions;
- Knowledge of sexual and reproductive health care and related social justice issues preferred.
- Degree from accredited college or university and at least two years’ experience in in state government relations/communications/public affairs/campaigns.
- Prior community organizing or political campaign experience is preferred;
- Candidates must possess excellent written and oral communications skills in English and excellent oral communication skills in Spanish as well;
- Preference given to candidates with relationships with key policymakers, civic engagement and reproductive health and rights stakeholders in the region;
- Travel required up to 40% of the time.
The Latina Institute offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, vacation, and sick leave.
Level of Language Proficiency
Candidates must possess excellent written and oral communications skills in English and excellent oral communication skills in Spanish as well.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements via email to email@example.com
Please include in the subject line: FL State Policy Advocate.
Job posted: 2021-01-28