Foundation Communications Specialist, Consultant
The Communications Officer creates and implements internal and external communications strategies to further the goals of the Foundation. This full-time exempt position is one of five members of the communications team, reporting to the Director of Communications and Public Affairs. This person will work across all focus areas of the Foundation based on the goals and needs of each area. The position requires collaboration, leadership and execution of projects and communications activities.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Foundation-wide Strategic Communications: Develop and oversee an internal communications program for the Foundation that includes leadership and staff, grantees, and corporate communications at Blue Shield of California Health Plan. Improve the Foundation’s ability to reach these key audiences effectively, meeting their needs and accomplishing the Foundation’s strategic communications goals.
- Strengthen the Foundation’s Reputation and Visibility: Support the creation and production of strategies and tactics to enhance the Foundation’s brand and identity. This work takes place across internal and external communications and strengthens the Foundation’s strategic goals. Executive communications, social and digital communications, and media relations are key components to success. Work in collaboration with teammates, the Director of Communications and Public Affairs and Foundation leaders, and consultants.
- Advance Blue Shield of California Foundation’s Goals and Program-Related Work: Collaborate with program and communications staff to help develop, support, and promote goals through creative communications, including message development, storytelling, presentations, digital and social media, and media outreach. Responsible for both executing and managing major or complex projects involving delegation of work and review of work products.
- Audience Development and Outreach: Develop strategies and activities to identify and engage diverse target audiences, both internal and external, on the Foundation’s goals. Assist in identification of key contacts outside the Foundation who can be instrumental in partnering and helping advance and disseminate the messages of the Foundation. Use analytic tools to track progress, advance goals, and to monitor effectiveness of engagement approaches.
- Additional duties include
- Media Relations: Collaborate on media strategy with Director of Communications and Public Affairs, communications teammates, and consultants. Provide input on outreach and responses to media inquiries, story pitches, and public messages. Coach program staff to prepare to speak with press, as needed.
- Publications Support: Work with program staff and communications team members and grantees to advise them on audiences and help determine key messages for publications, reports, and surveys. Support production and dissemination as needed on a project basis.
- Grant-making: Participate in communications grant-making as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Public Health, Public Policy, Health Sciences, Social Work, Philanthropy, Sociology, or related field.
- A minimum of seven years of work experience in a communications-related field such as public relations, communications consulting, and/or journalism. Health or philanthropy communications preferred.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in communications strategy development, as well as project and client or content-expert management. Health or philanthropy communications preferred.
- A minimum of three years’ experience developing innovative, complex and/or multimedia approaches for communicating information and social change and/or health equity messages.
- Some travel required, within health and safety guidelines.
- A minimum of five years’ experience with digital marketing, including website, email, and social media platforms. Social media skills, including planning and creating content and development of creative and other online content. Knowledge of digital analytics. Health or philanthropy experience preferred.
- A minimum of three years’ experience with internal communications development and implementation.
- Media relations experience in the health or philanthropy field, in either a corporate, non-profit, government, public relations agency, or medical institution environment, handling a high volume of media inquiries and writing press releases and op-eds.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and collaboration skills. A creative and enthusiastic team player who is strategic, deadline driven and productive.
- Demonstrated success collaborating with diverse groups, organizational leadership, and content experts within and outside the organization.
- Highly adept at managing competing priorities and shifting focus as determined by the changing needs of the organization, both internal and external.
Knowledge and Skills
- Passion for the Foundation’s mission is essential and knowledge of health care, public health, health equity and/or social justice is preferred.
- Proven ability to manage complex projects in collaboration with multiple points of contact, including in-house staff, consultants, and other outside vendors.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills and demonstrated ability to translate technical information and complex concepts and statistics into accessible, audience-specific materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish collaborations and strategic partnerships to support promotion and dissemination of programs, research, and other projects.
- Ability to manage large projects or processes that span outside of immediate job area.
- Ability to effectively work with and provide counsel to peers, senior management, leadership teams, and advisory groups.
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, and able to handle and prioritize multiple projects.
- Knowledge of, and relationships with, the news media is desirable.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-04