Freelancer in Public Affairs – Public Relations
Successful Washington, DC-based public affairs PR firm seeks to flesh out its freelance talent network, especially with core skillsets and functions. The candidates being sought must have proven skills and a passion for public affairs, advocacy, and related content and outreach specialties. The ideal candidate has 2 to 4 years of strong, DC- or public-policy-based experience; is an excellent writer, editor, and PR/comms practitioner; and has industry knowledge of tech, telecom, or other hot industries. Bonus for candidates with proven skills in graphic design and online engagement. This is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial self-starter who wants to add more clients and projects to their freelance roster and continue learning the public affairs PR business from a seasoned executive. Successful performance could lead to full-time employment within four to six months.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assisting with the creation of a variety of PR materials including press releases, media pitches, case studies, fact sheets, blogs, newsletters, fluff pieces, executive bios, interview briefing materials, PowerPoints, charts, web graphics, etc.
- Using digital media channels – i.e. web, email and social – to advance client objectives
- Developing on-point pitches to “the right” reporters and outreach targets, leading to significant media placements and helpful relationships
- Supporting agency marketing, research, new business development, proposals, and pitches
- 2 to 4 years
- Bonus for directly relevant experience in a DC-focused public relations agency, company, association, nonprofit, or government agency
- Top-notch writing/editing skills
- Media relations skills (bonus for existing relationships with reporters in client-relevant media outlets)
- Digital media capabilities, with education and experience in the use of Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and other leading platforms in PR and marketing
- Ability to juggle multiple, concurrent tasks without sacrificing quality or deadlines
- Familiarity with or interest in public affairs and governmental affairs, especially in our clients’ industries (bonus for knowledge of tech and telecom issues)
- Comfortable in a startup-like environment
- Strong experience in journalism and/or marketing can be a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, PR/Communications, Media, or Political Science preferred
Interested candidates should send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. The most qualified candidates will be contacted within 10-14 days. Due to the volume of resumes received, we cannot promise an answer to everyone.
Job posted: 2019-10-10