Global Communications Specialist – Advanced Industries
McKinsey & Co.
Atlanta, GA/Boston, MA/Charlotte, NC/Chicago, IL/Cleveland, OH/Dallas, TX/Detroit, MI/Houston, TX/Los Angeles, CA/Miami, FL/Minneapolis, MN/Miramar, FL/New Jersey/New York City, NY/Philadelphia, PA/Phoenix, AZ/Pittsburgh, PA/Seattle, WA/Silicon Valley, CA/St. Louis, MO/Stamford, CT/Tampa, FL/Waltham, MA/Washington DC
- Bachelor’s degree
- Evidence of high-caliber academic achievement and intellectual curiosity
- Experience in executing multichannel marketing and communications programs
- Team-oriented, collegial and entrepreneurial
- Strong problem-solving skills; ability to quickly grasp a range of complex issues, see a problem from multiple sides, work through the issues in a logical and rigorous way, and find creative yet practical solutions
- Ability to develop valuable external and internal network to ensure successful execution of events and activities across regions
- Capable and experienced in media relations; comfortable building relationships directly with journalists
- Exceptional writing and editorial skills; ability to distill complex ideas into accessible copy
- Strong event management skills; experience in planning and executing events for a senior business audience
- Self-motivation with an appetite for working in a low-structure environment; high comfort level with ambiguity, creativity and risk taking
- Ability to speak truthfully on difficult matters and can serve as honest counselors
- Client service mindset; unfailing adherence to the highest professional standards, professional values and a commitment to inclusive, supportive, and respectful work environments
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH
You will be based in one of our North American office as part of McKinsey’s Advanced Industries practice. You will work closely with the global head of communications.
McKinsey’s Advanced Industries (AI) practice brings together three well-established global industry practices with roots in technically complex design and manufacturing: Automotive & Assembly(A&A), Aerospace & Defense(A&D) and Advanced Electronics(AE)/Semiconductors. We generate cross-functional expertise and leading-edge insight to deliver greater, more meaningful and lasting impact and help shape the future of some of the world’s most dynamic sectors. Additionally, the McKinsey Center for Future Mobility (MCFM) is one of the leading private sector global think tanks.
You will work with the AI practice and will be collaborating with experienced industrials partners to work with industry executives to address issues including strategy, organization, operations, technology, marketing, sales and risk. We focus on core operating capabilities and help clients take a long-term, through-cycle view of the evolving competitive landscape. You will work with many high performing iconic industrial companies around functional, business unit and enterprise transformations to accelerate revenue generation, technology integration, operations design, and margin and cash flow improvements. We publish extensively on industrial topics and constantly research the latest ideas and capabilities needed by our industry. We regularly convene industry leaders for premium quality gatherings.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
You will help drive the global reputation-building program for the Advanced Industries practice.
This program will increase visibility across both internal and external channels and position the leaders of the global practice with key decision-makers and market influencers which will build our reputation among clients, media and other key stakeholders across regions. You will work closely with external relations, publishing, event planning and risk colleagues at the firm-wide level. You will help build our reputation through events, press, social media, institutional partnerships and targeted dissemination of publishing, particularly in North America. You will co-lead efforts to build and coach colleagues’ capabilities in these areas as well as ensure colleagues understand external relations priorities and progress against those objectives.
While your role will focus on global advanced industries external relations priorities, the two targeted areas will be North America Advanced Industries and Global Aerospace & Defense. You will co-lead our North American reputation-building program, aligned with the practice’s strategies and client development priorities. This includes executing a professional content development and distribution program, strengthening relationships with leading business and trade journalists, enhancing the impact of client events and working closely with the North American leadership teams for Automotive & Assembly, Aerospace & Defense, Advanced Electronics and Semiconductors.
You will also build a brand presence and positioning for the Aerospace & Defense practice globally which emphasizes our innovative and transformative capabilities. This will include developing of a holistic reputation-building program, securing speaking roles at prominent events and preparing participants accordingly, advancing our share of voice on the 2-4 most important themes through media relations, social media and publishing as well as working closely with the global A&D leadership team including coaching leaders on their personal reputation-building efforts.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-06