Global Government Affairs Midwest Regional Lobbyist
Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Our core activities are safeguarding assets, lending money, making payments and accessing the capital markets on behalf of our clients.
Citi’s Mission and Value Proposition explains what we do and Citi Leadership Standards explain how we do it. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients’ and the public’s trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve. Our Leadership Standards is a common set of skills and expected behaviors that illustrate how our employees should work every day to be successful and strengthens our ability to execute against our strategic priorities.
Diversity is a key business imperative and a source of strength at Citi. We serve clients from every walk of life, every background and every origin. Our goal is to have our workforce reflect this same diversity at all levels. Citi has made it a priority to foster a culture where the best people want to work, where individuals are promoted based on merit, where we value and demand respect for others and where opportunities to develop are widely available to all.
This role will serve as Citi’s Midwest Region Government Relations lobbyist, based in Chicago covering the Illinois State legislature, the Chicago City Council and other municipalities and states in the Midwest, as required. The position will report to the Head of State and Local Government Relations, headquartered in Washington, D.C.
This Midwest regional lobbying position is one of the state regional lobbying positions in Citi. The State and Local Government Relations (SLGR) team oversees lobbying activity in the 50 States and key cities in the US. The team also helps to coordinate Citi’s grassroots ambassador program in key states, assists internal Citi business lines in their dealings with state and local governments, where appropriate, provides political intelligence and updates to Citi clients, coordinates with the Citi Foundation, Citi Community Development and others internal lines in engaging with cities and states on Citi-sponsored programming, represents Citi before organizations of state and elected officials, and coordinates with the Federal and International Government Relations teams on key policy issues.
The role requires the individual to serve as the primary advocate on the company’s legislative, regulatory, and public policy interests with legislative, regulatory, and executive branch officials in the region. The position will also require the individual to represent the company in any relevant state and local trade associations and as needed or directed, to represent Citi on key federal issues in coordination with the federal government affairs team in certain trade associations and with certain congressional offices.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Juris Doctorate preferred.
- 7+ years of direct, relevant lobbying experience covering state or local government affairs in the city of Chicago, or Springfield, the state capital.
- Strong existing relationships with Illinois and Chicago state and local officials, and the ability to maintain those relationships, and establish new ones, as required by the position.
- Ability to analyse legislation and regulatory proposals, contact relevant internal stakeholders to understand the impact on the company, and create and implement advocacy plans to educate public officials on issues of concern or interest to Citi.
- Willingness to register as a lobbyist, and complete, file and maintain any required certifications and documentation as a lobbyist representative for the company in multiple jurisdictions, as required by law.
- Ability to identify political trends that could impact the company.
- Proven ability to collaborate with others and work for the best interests of the group.
- Ability to travel between multiple jurisdictions in the Midwest
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and strategic skills, the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, and the ability to meet deadlines.
Note: It is highly preferred that applicants are already located in the Chicago area.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-11