Global Policy Advocate
This is a full-time, grant dependent, one-year contract position with possibility for renewal. Under the direction of the Senior Director, Policy & Advocacy, the Policy Advocate supports the advancement of ICRW’s policy priorities and advocacy agenda in various global advocacy forums, including the United Nations and other international organizations, G7/G20, APEC and other global policy dialogues.
Thematic issues in the advocate’s portfolio reflect ICRW’s research agenda, including: women’s economic empowerment, sexual reproductive health and rights, girls’ rights and empowerment (including child marriage and FGM), and the emerging dialogue around feminist foreign policy. They will engage in coalition leadership and advocacy, as well as assist in the development, planning, and execution of advocacy initiatives contributing to ICRW’s advocacy goals.
Education and Experience:
- Three years of directly relevant work experience with master’s degree or five years of directly relevant work experience with bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated ability to implement advocacy strategies within the USG and/or international contexts required, experience working with the United Nations and other global policy forums, as well as existing networks relevant to foreign affairs and appropriations strongly preferred.
- Expertise and strategic capacity required to understand, analyze and communicate effectively regarding issues in this area of work and to design and help implement advocacy strategies to effect change.
- Experience working on gender equality and global women’s issues and corresponding global networks strongly preferred.
- Publications and demonstrated experience writing for various audiences, including journal publications, policy briefs, blogs and/or op-eds, as well as for social media audiences, required.
- Experience with grant proposal and report writing.
- Project and budget management experience or skills strongly preferred.
- Experience with event planning required, particularly digital platforms
- Familiarity with political processes and agency priorities at the U.N. and relevant global forums required.
- Working knowledge of gender issues and development is strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds, engage and/or manage coalition advocacy and organizing and work cross-culturally highly desired.
- Advocacy skills including direct advocacy, legislative advocacy and coalition advocacy
- Project management skills
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
Working under the close guidance of the Senior Policy & Advocacy Director, the Advocate will be responsible for:
- Management of ICRW’s signature Feminist U.N. Campaign and associated publications, including the annual report card on the Secretary-General’s progress implementing this agenda
- Drafting and analyzing relevant policy frameworks and proposals, sign-on letters and other policy documents for institutional fit, and translating those to ICRW internal and external stakeholders (coalition partners, donors, press)
- Under guidance of ICRW’s policy and relevant research directors, championing those policy proposals that align with ICRW’s research and advocacy priorities among key advocacy targets;
- Monitoring, analyzing, and interpreting relevant news and policy developments, such as those associated with the Generation Equality Forum process, the Sustainable Development Goals, the G7/G20 and other relevant bodies
- Leading or assisting in the development of necessary policy briefs, one-pagers, emails, events and other advocacy tactics to advance ICRW policy priorities;
- Working closely with ICRW’s research, policy and communications teams to develop and disseminate key messages for ICRW’s advocacy agenda, including serving as a spokesperson with external stakeholders (advocacy targets, press, donors, etc.);
- Supporting the development and review of requested content, including talking points, questions for the record, op-eds, presentations and related resources for policymaker’s advocacy audiences;
- Building, maintaining and, where applicable, leading advocacy coalitions on ICRW’s priority issues, including women’s economic empowerment, child marriage, FGM/C and gender equality;
- Planning and executing ICRW advocacy and coalition events;
- Planning and leading coalition and internal team meetings to ensure forward momentum and achievement on the advocacy team’s strategy and goals
- Working with the advocacy and business development teams to deliver donor satisfaction and ensure excellence in the management and renewal of advocacy’s grants (budgeting and spending according to plan, timely submission of grant proposals and reports, donor cultivation as needed);
- Other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates are expected to submit a cover letter, resume, and 1-2 page writing sample.
ICRW is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law, where applicable. ICRW is an E-Verify Employer.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-19