Global Policy Legal (Americas)
We’re looking for an experienced lawyer with exceptional credentials and deep experience in policy development, internet law, and political law to join our Legal Team and provide legal support for Twitter’s Public Policy function in the Americas. This role will focus on public policy issues posed by the continuing spread of digital technology and web-based communications services around the world. These issues range from freedom of expression, online safety, intellectual property, election integrity, privacy, and Internet freedom.
You will be part of Twitter’s Global Policy Legal team, providing advice on political, regulatory, and legislative law. You’ll work in close collaboration with the rest of the Legal organization, the Public Policy team, and with teams across the company (including Trust & Safety, Communications, and Product and Engineering), on complex public policy related issues. You will work closely with the Director of the Global Policy Legal team, and your counterpart in EMEA. You should have amazing interpersonal skills, a fantastic communication style, a commitment to teamwork, and an ability to navigate sensitive issues on a tight timeframe.
What You’ll Do:
- Support the legal needs of Twitter’s Public Policy organization regarding political matters across the region.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to internal clients on policy and legislative issues.
- Review and analyse legal risks related to policy issues important for Twitter and the people who use our platform.
- Collaborate with outside counsel to efficiently respond to external legal inquiries related to public policy issues.
- Work hand in hand with Twitter’s Global Policy Legal team, the Litigation team, Data Protection Officer, the Human Rights team, Product Counsel team, and the Safety, Content, and Law Enforcement team to coordinate legal inputs on legislative and policy matters.
- Partner with our Public Policy clients to monitor legal and regulatory issues related to public policy priorities.
- Support the preparation of materials for engagement with policymakers, regulators, lawmakers, and external stakeholders.
- Conduct legislative and regulatory review and analysis.
- Support our Public Policy team in interactions with key government representatives.
- Support and collaborate with local counsel and the leads on public policy matters in region.
- 6+ years of relevant experience, including experience providing legal support to government bodies and/or technology companies on issues related to the internet.
- Qualified, lawyer, solicitor, or barrister of good standing.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Strong understanding of the legislative process, regulatory structures, and the technology industry.
- Strong experience and understanding legislative and legal frameworks within the Americas.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams with excellent results.
- Significant experience in government, politics, and public policy with deep familiarity across all three disciplines.
- Fluency in communications and/or social media technology, combined with a passion about the power of communications to change the world for the better.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-10