Government Affairs Analyst
The Lubrizol Corporation, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a market-driven global company serving customers in more than 100 countries. We own and operate manufacturing facilities in 17 countries, as well as sales and technical offices around the world. Through our global sales and manufacturing networks, we are able to deliver the products and services our customers need, where and when they need them.
At Lubrizol, our mission is straightforward: We improve lives as an essential partner in our customers’ success, delivering efficiency, reliability or wellness to their end users. Read the cover story in Smart Business Magazine to learn how Lubrizol plans to advance its growth.
As a Government Affairs Analyst, you will play a critical role supporting our efforts to advocate through elected officials and industry organizations for laws and regulations which help support our businesses and in alignment with our strategy.
Your primary responsibility will be to follow legislation, research subject matter related to proposed laws and create support materials for meetings with elected officials.
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Government Affairs, you will have the opportunity to interact with key business and operations stakeholders, representing your work.
As part of the organization also responsible for leading execution of our sustainability strategies at Lubrizol, you will also have the opportunity to work in the overlapping space between sustainability and government affairs. Specifically, you will help address some of Lubrizol’s advocacy efforts related to sustainability.
As an analyst, you must be able to read, understand and distill potential legislation. You will also need to understand the corporate and business strategies and be able to find connections – for both issues and opportunities – between Lubrizol strategies and legislation as well. A technical degree is not needed for this role, but the ability to understand basic technical concepts will be helpful. Some commercial experience will be helpful.
- Track key, state level government activity in the U.S. Identify impacts to Lubrizol. Distill and provide monthly report to Corp Sustainability Team.
- Identify and analyze trends in legislative and regulatory activity in the U.S. Provide quarterly report of these trends and suggested opportunities for advocacy, R&D or product value proposition to the Director of Government Affairs.
- Support the engagement of elected officials in the U.S. by understanding legislative priorities of relevant elected officials, working with said officials staff to schedule meetings, preparing pre-meeting information for both Lubrizol and elected official, scheduling and preparing Lubrizol for the scheduled meeting. Gather and update key facts and information for Lubrizol’s activities at U.S. sites.
- Identify advocacy methods and priorities of trade associations and industry groups in order to help prepare Lubrizol advocacy efforts. Assist in the development of Lubrizol advocacy positions by researching topic and connecting with internal stakeholders to determine business case and supportable Lubrizol position. Engage with key trade associations to schedule and prepare all parties for 1:1 meetings and calls with lawmakers.
- Support the corporate sustainability effort by connecting legislative and regulatory activity to opportunities or issues for Lubrizol.
- BS or BA. Economics or political science preferred, but not required. Two years working experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the legislative process. Detail oriented. Able to distill complex information and communicate it in a clear way. Persistent and patient. Ability to network internally and externally. Collaborative. Does not need a STEM degree, but must be able to understand basic technical concepts at a high level in order to identify and speak to issues impactful to Lubrizol. Also needed to help develop policy positions.
- Demonstrated effective communicator.
- Some commercial experience will be helpful (preferred).
With multiple facilities in and around Cleveland, Ohio, Lubrizol is located in one of the largest economic regions in the United States. For the last seven years Lubrizol has been named one of the top workplaces in Northeast Ohio, and in 2016 was judged as the number one workplace by Northeast Ohio’s annual Top Workplaces survey. Buzzing with business, culture, knowledge and entertainment, Northeast Ohio is a vibrant place for people of all ages and walks of life to live, learn, work and play. This region offers a little bit of everything for everyone – ethnically-diverse communities, affordable housing, award-winning schools and universities, world-class healthcare, indoor waterparks and zoos, ski resorts, museums, halls of fame, one of the longest water-fronts in the country, and the most concentrated square mile of art, cultural, education and health institutions in the nation. From making your heart race at Cedar Point, to attending a professional sporting event or biking or hiking through over the 100,000 acres of state parks, to catching a Broadway show at Playhouse Square – the second largest performing arts center in the country, you can make it happen right here in Cleveland, Ohio.
Lubrizol is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, citizenship, age, religion, marital status, military service, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic or trait protected by federal, state, or local law.
Do You Need Assistance?
Please let us know if you need an accommodation to proceed with your application for a posted job, or with any other aspect of the interview or assessment process. You can either call 440-943-4200 and ask for Talent Acquisition or send an email to email@example.com. Please note that this phone line and email address are not to be used for checking on the status of an already submitted application and not to be used by third party recruiters.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-06